60 fps FCP workflow??

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Harris
60 fps FCP workflow??
on Nov 28, 2010 at 1:28:16 am

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

We recently shot a film on the RED One and shot our VFX shots at 60 FPS at 2K at the request of our animator who wanted extra frames for motion tracking. After transcoding through FCP, the footage appears to play back only at 23.98 (ie Slo-Motion). My concern is that the shots ultimately need to play back at full speed so how do I go about converting them to do so? Ideally, FCP would transcode them at 60 FPS as we expected but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that either. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: 60 fps FCP workflow??
on Nov 28, 2010 at 6:19:02 pm

I am sorry to say that your animator does not understand RED's film style SLOW motion, and was asking you to apply a "video" style effect to your footage. IE: for HD you would shoot 59.94 and extract the sixty frames.

What you did was shoot a timebase of 23.98 and capture 60 discreet frames per second. When played back in a 23.98 timeline this plays back like FILM SLOW MOTION, where an actual sixty frames (more frames per second) were actually captured. WHen you play this back at 23.98 then you have slow motion.

Now to revers enginerr this you have to actaully eliminate frames to get it back to 23.98. No matter what you do, this will look "wrong" because it was done incorrectly in the first place.

You should have run a test, and talk to people who understand RED or FILM slow motion instead of trusting an animator who obviously does not understand this process.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]