FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Vista Playback

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Roberts
Windows Vista Playback
on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:14:57 pm

A Director I'm working with wants to screen the RED proxy files on her Windows Vista laptop. I looked for a Windows REDCODE codec on RED support but couldn't find one. Is this even possible to do and if so what do I need to get her machine ready to view these files?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Windows Vista Playback
on Nov 23, 2010 at 1:22:00 am

I'd get the flip4mac tools and convert to WMV instead. Not cheap but worth it- simplest way to do things. You need the Studio Pro version:

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

Or have the director download QuickTime for Windows and offer ProRes or H.264 1080p files.

And don't forget to do so on a hard drive formatted for Windows. The best way to get is get the Paragon plugin for NTFS and run that on your Mac. Then you can format hard drives as NTFS which is best for Windows machines:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Another alternative is joining Vimeo plus and uploading the files with password protection. Then the director can watch in a browser.

And another alternative is making a standard definition DVD that the director can play on her Windows DVD player software or a set top DVD player. Millions of ways to do this but nothing that would be simple/native REDCODE. And really not needed anyways- she has no use of huge files.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Sam Roberts
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:08:39 pm

Hi Noah...well she bought an Elephant raid drive and I formatted it for windows and she has the free version of Quicktime on the computer but when she goes to play back the files Quicktime starts but it is audio only. Will having Quicktime Pro on her machine solve the problem?
No RED windows codec needed?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:59:16 pm

Yeah that's because there is no native REDCODE playback in Windows. You'd have to do more research on your own- I'm not a Windows guy thank god. But AFAIK there is not a codec to permit direct REDCODE playback in windows. So again you would need to convert to ProRes or another codec that is supported in Windows.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:41:27 am

Or you can prepare a timeline for her in REDCine-X, install that on her machine (not sure if Vista is sufficient, though) and she can play the original files.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]