FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED 2K output queries

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
simon mountney
RED 2K output queries
on Oct 31, 2010 at 5:39:01 pm

Hi all, I've been lumped with some footage to sort out and wondered if anyone could help, I'm relatively new to using Red (normally I work with a Sony ex3, I've had 3 days of research before the RED job was to start...) and was wondering what I can do about a couple things. We shot at 2K for some product adverts in studio with limited light, but with my limited skills it's still looking okay (the client has no problems with the rushes at least).

We do have noise, and to reduce it I've been using Neat Image Denoise which does a sterling job, however I would like to know if there's anything I can do prior to output from RedcineX (if that's the best option) to improve image quality.

My goal is to take the footage into after effects, fix what noise is unavoidable, add an extra layer, output uncompressed (animation/prores HQ/other???), take it into Color for a bit of clean up, and then a final export, probably from FCP. Hopefully this isn't too convoluted and makes sense.

Such questions to come may have obvious answers, but I have been dropped off into the deep end here, so be nice, and imagine you're explaining Red to a petulant, slightly slow child ;-)

What can I do to reduce noise caused by low light/crap light/other unknown variables without reducing sharpness later? The denoise software will be kinder to the footage later if there's less grain to start with.

What is the best quality output for taking footage into After Affects? Limited testing has shown tif sequences to be fairly nice, but I'd love to hear that there's a better alternative.

Is there anything I can do for banding that doesn't involve copious noise? (as I'm trying to reduce that!)

I've got until first thing Wednesday (UK time) to sort out 5 8-second files, so any advice will be most graciously received.

I'm sure I'll have additional numpty questions to ask as problems arise, but I'll stick to these for now.

Many thanks

Simon

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED 2K output queries
on Oct 31, 2010 at 10:38:48 pm

To start with the most basic questions:
– did you expose to the right?
– was it a RED MX sensor or the older M sensor?
– How did you adjust in first light for the rushes?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

simon mountney
on Nov 1, 2010 at 12:45:49 am

I sadly wasn't directly involved with the shooting, but I believe it was shot with an even histogram, it was shot on the Red MX, I believe (I will confirm this as soon as I can), and my preliminary results involved me making a minor adjustment on the curve, outputting as a tif sequence, importing in AE for the required extra footage to be overlayed, then outputting as an uncompressed file for Color correction. Sorry if this isn't what you mean but I'm a bit behind on technicalities and am playing catchup...

S

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 1, 2010 at 3:25:52 am

My advice to reducing noise is to do it as the last possible pass on the video. There is no reason at all to not finish RED footage directly from the R3D as every capable post software reads the R3D data directly now.

Taking your problem into an APPLE workflow solution would be this.

Edit offline,
Relink to online R3D media.
Grade in color, apply FX etc.
Render
Send back to FCP
Add NeatVideo to the problem shots.

That's how I would approach this problem.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

simon mountney
on Nov 1, 2010 at 10:05:15 am

That seems to be a fairly straightforward method, with one key issue for me. I assume I bring in the QT reference file for the first edit, then how do I go about reconnecting with the r3d file? As I said, if there's a spectrum with numpty to expert, you can guess which end I'm at...

S

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 1, 2010 at 6:10:01 pm

The QT reference is linking to the source automagically in Color, just use Colorfixer for files over 2 GB.

Or offline and use Clipfinder to re-conform.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 1, 2010 at 7:21:43 pm

Remember,

When you send to Color then COLOR ALWAYS accesses the full 4K resolution of the R3D file. It does not matter if you send P, F, H, in Color, it's always the full resolution.

You set the output to what you need form 4K.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]