FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes Gamma Correction Automatic or None?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony DeRose
ProRes Gamma Correction Automatic or None?
on Oct 27, 2010 at 1:25:14 am

When exporting to ProRes 4444 via redcinex should gamma correction stay automatic or switch to none? I have my monitor set up to 2.2 gamma and found that leaving it on washes out my image. My final cut is set to 2.22 and I have imported both prores with automatic gamma correction and none. It seems that once in fcp it gets a little darker (really have to concentrate to see it). And my worry is that correction off keeps the image at 2.2 and then once in fcp it darkens it more since I have it set to 2.22

http://www.anthonyderose.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: ProRes Gamma Correction Automatic or None?
on Oct 27, 2010 at 1:55:51 pm

It depends- from Apple:

Gamma Correction
Apple ProRes codecs have a native gamma of 2.2. The Gamma Correction setting in the advanced compression settings pane allows you to disable the automatic 1.8 to 2.2 gamma adjustment that can occur if RGB material at 2.2 gamma is misinterpreted as 1.8. In some cases this gamma adjustment is not desirable (for example, if the source image is RGB 2.2, or if the encoded Apple ProRes file is meant to be used in another RGB-based application).

Automatic: Select the Automatic setting to have the Apple ProRes codec convert RGB 1.8 gamma source media files to 2.2 gamma.
None: Select the None setting to disable the adjustment of 1.8 gamma to 2.2 gamma.

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]