FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Review

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Fuhrman
RED Review
on Oct 12, 2010 at 6:37:29 pm

Hello,

I'm Executive Producer on a feature film and am considering the RED camera for our production camera. I am also an experienced DP. Tech language is my second language, English being my first :)

With that said, I am interested in hearing from anyone with considerable experience behind the RED ONE.

- What are the major Pros and Cons to the RED?

- RED lenses - I have heard mixed review about the RED lenses. Some say they are great, while others complain about breathing issues and sharpness.

That's all for now. Thank you in advance.

-Peter

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED Review
on Oct 12, 2010 at 6:56:33 pm

The RED is a great tool. It is a professional tool. It's not a grab and go camera.

The RED lenses are optimized for the CMOS sensor, are fast, cost effective, but are by no means compact or lightwieght. I have seen some very positive results with RED lenses but some people have complained of mechanics or build quality. For the price point they can not be beat.

My best advice is treat RED the same way, and with the same care you would 35mm film. Treat R3D files the same way you would treat color neg and you will not have any problems.

There are many expreinced professionals who use and post RED every day and get excellent results.

If possible you should opt for the new MX sensor.

The RED is a more than capable tool and the workflow will afford you many advantages over 35mm Film.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:53:23 am

The specific pros and cons pertinent to your production are something you can discover yourself via google. Go see The Social Network- most recent feature shot on RED. RED lenses are ok, ARRI or Cookes are better- as you would expect with the price differential.

It's not really a question of whether RED is a great camera- it is. But it's not free nor is it cheap when done right. So it's more a question of if it fits your budget/timeframe.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Oct 13, 2010 at 6:35:47 am

We've had the RED for 3 years now, and it has proven reliable, apart from one bad battery and the connectors on the charger. Both were replaced by RED at no charge, as was the audio board, which had a construction error. Make sure to get a camera with the new audio board if you don't shoot separate audio.

The bad side: the joystick is crap, but it works. As are the SDI-connectors, get the breakout box from Element Technica instead. Careful with the pins for the CF cards, ours work, but some have had problems ruining shots if you don't check all of them completely right on set. The camera is quite heavy and bulky, but not more than a 35mm camera (apart from Aaton).

The good: excellent image quality no other camera at this price point can deliver, in particular with the
MX sensor plus complete freedom (but responsibility too !) in post. The RED primes are very good for the money, we compared them to older Zeiss/Arri primes and they were close. But no match for Master Primes, of course.

The only competitor right now is Arri's Alexa, but it has less resolution and slo-mo capability. But, OTOH, an excellent service network all over the planet, which is still in it's infancy for RED.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]