FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED workflow issue

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dean chapman
RED workflow issue
on Sep 24, 2010 at 10:23:41 pm

I've taken on a project which involves editing a trailer for a film shot on the RED....

The film has already been edited (by another guy).
I've been handed a self contained FCP movie file, which is about 165 GB (2048x1024, codec: ap4h, Linear PCM, Timecode)

Should I import this into FCP and just start editing? I'm scared to even open this giant file (i'm using a 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon). I've read up on the whole RED to FCP workflow for editing with proxies and linking it up on the final render, but the movie has already been edited....i just need to cut a trailer.

Can i use some kind of proxy workflow with this self contained FCP movie.......or do i have to grab the entire batch of original RED files, along with the other editor's FCP project and chop up a trailer from there? Or is there something else i'm missing?

Thanks!

-dean

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED workflow issue
on Sep 25, 2010 at 4:39:22 pm

'codec: ap4h'

Honestly I have no clue what that is. Can you look at the clip properties again in Final Cut Pro and cut and paste what the codec says. It may be a flavor of ProRes but you should be able to get its proper name. At any rate- yes trying to slice up a 165GB file is going to be rough on your system. Then again, it matters what your final delivery is and whether you'll be doing some grading and resizing of shots. In that case it may make more work in the long run if you do your editing as a proxy.

However if the final delivery is say 1080p ProRes and you are not doing a ton of VFX, feel free to re-export the original clip as a 1080p ProRes Proxy and start cutting away. Just make sure your proxy version is the same exact length to the frame. When you're done cutting you can just connect your edit to the original media and render away...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: RED workflow issue
on Sep 26, 2010 at 3:25:34 pm

[Noah Kadner] "'codec: ap4h'
"

Its ProRes.

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL