FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring for Broadcast & Film - Ideal setup for RED?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
Monitoring for Broadcast & Film - Ideal setup for RED?
on Sep 12, 2010 at 2:59:00 pm

Hello friends,

I have a friend who just recently started up a small shop for broadcast and film post work - he does design, animation, color grading, etc and hopes to just do film once enough broadcast jobs have come thru to fund expansion.

My Question is pretty simple: what is the most cost effective way for him to setup proper monitoring out of a mac pro for broadcast and film grading / QCing in After effects, FCP, Color, Resolve, etc? Color space out of AE is a concern for him because he grades a lot with it - so i am also curious if one can strictly grade in AE out to a proper calibrated monitor - he uses RED footage a lot too and wants to upgrade to CS5 for the newer RED workflow options. I am a Color user and more familiar with grading setups for broadcast so i thought i would ask here as well because i think most likely his shop will handle workflows between multiple applications including FCP, Color / maybe resolve but as of right now he is only grading in AE with ProRes HQ files created in Redcine-X. A big concern of his is grading from the Highest quality RED footage and has found that he loses a lot of information when grading footage rendered out of Redcine-X to ProResHQ - upgrading to CS5 is one thing he wants to do but i know there are a lot of options for RED workflows.

I am familiar with black magic cards, aja hdp2 & hdlink, dreamcolor, etc but those setups have always been strictly for broadcast w/ fcp & color and not necessarily for AE grading or Film - so i want to make sure he is covered for grading and QCing out of AE, Color, Resolve, fcp, etc for Broadcast & Film - at the most cost effective price point.

Any help or advice would be great.

thank you

sean

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
Re: Monitoring for Broadcast & Film - Ideal setup for RED?
on Sep 16, 2010 at 3:38:48 am

too long winded??

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Monitoring for Broadcast & Film - Ideal setup for RED?
on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:55:49 am

AE can output to video I/O as well. BM, HDP2 plus Dreamcolor is still the cheapest acceptable solution, and the Dreamcolor can be calibrated very close to DCI as well, not only 601 and 709.

BTW, the Dreamcolor was made for film, not TV (animation workstations).

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]