FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED with DVCPRO HD and FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Lagrange
RED with DVCPRO HD and FCP
on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:54:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting a fairly complicated project in a few days that involves a production using the RED camera shooting at 4k, and a huge amount of archival footage stored as DVCPRO HD quicktimes (not sure of the exact resolution yet). I've done a few projects with the RED cam, and have tried different downconverting methods (Red Rushes and REDCINE-X both to PRORES HQ) and have gotten good results. This one is a little different to me however because of the DVCPRO HD material.

Since the turn around for this job is extremely tight, my idea is to keep all the archival footage as DVCPRO HD in FC, and convert the RED material in REDCINE-X to that format. In terms of finishing I was thinking of exporting out the archival footage as a quicktime, and for all the RED material providing an XML or EDL (XML's with RED have given me huge pains in the past however...).

I'm going to be working out of the online house (we'll be using a flame) so there should be a little time to test things, but I just wanted to check on here first and see if the method I listed above would work well. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-Sean

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED with DVCPRO HD and FCP
on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:34:05 pm

One simple route is simply to conform everything to ProRes same framerate/resolution. That would tie your hands a bit in terms of a high end finish but would make the editing itself go much more smoothly.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]