FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert 4k r3d on CS5 for use with Blackmagic Decklink

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Ellstein
Convert 4k r3d on CS5 for use with Blackmagic Decklink
on Aug 15, 2010 at 4:32:50 am

Hello,

I own a Decklink card and was recently assigned a job that was shot on a Red camera using 4k 2:1 29.97 footage. The project will be in SD, so I figured I'd convert the whole thin to the Blackmagic SD 10 bit codec and work the whole thing as we usually do.

My problem is that this is taking too long. The quality is perfect, but it's taking about a minute per second to convert the footage.

I've tried working with the original footage in CS5 but it's choppy (even with my array and brand new i7 computer), and will not do.

I figured that if nothing worked to get the footage through my Decklink card I could work with the proxies that come with the Red files... the problem is that Premiere won't recognize them, and I really don't want to run out and buy a Mac and Final Cut.

Any ideas?

RE

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Convert 4k r3d on CS5 for use with Blackmagic Decklink
on Aug 15, 2010 at 5:37:50 am

If you end up in SD you don't need a full debayer. During editing you can reduce the display resolution and it should play fine – you can't display 4K side-by-side anyway, can you?

If you can't get a playout without stutter in the end, you may need to render in a lighter codec and load that back into Premiere to play though your Decklink.

BTW, how much RAM do you have? Our 8-cores play R3D very well in CS5.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Ricardo Ellstein
on Aug 15, 2010 at 10:08:53 pm

Hi Uli, and thanks for your help.

I'm working on a i7 920 system with 3 GB of RAM. Thing is, even if I reduce the playback window the video won't play smoothly. I've even messed around with the debayer options, but no luck. It's still choppy, even when running from our 4 disk Raid 5 array.

I've found that if I render to some Codecs other than the Blackmagic ones (such as the "Uncompressed YUV 10 bit" one) in Quicktime the render goes by very quickly. I'm going to have to work with all this material in a intermediate format, then go back and render the selected takes to BM 10 bit, the color correct on the monitor. Not my dream workflow, but it'll do.

I can't believe that the proxy files don't work in Premiere. I don't know if I'm missing something, but it's strange that RED has software for the PC, but won't release codecs for the QT files the camera generates to use in Premiere.

Thanks for the advice.

R

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Aug 16, 2010 at 7:01:37 am

Adobe is working natively with RED files, no proxies needed (which aren't real proxies anyway). But your system might be a bit too small for RED. I'd rather go for 8-cores with a minimum of 2 GB per core.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]