FORUMS: list search recent posts

REDOne Footage - editing start

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Drewe
REDOne Footage - editing start
on Jul 24, 2010 at 11:00:01 pm

Hi all,

So I've shot my first short on the RED, and thus far the footage looks great - now it's on to the editing procedure.

I'll be editing this footage in FCP 6.0.6, and I've looked around at other posts about where to start - I've read a lot about Pro Res HQ compression, 2K, 4K, etc etc... all of which seems useful, but has ultimately confused me as to where to start. As of right now, the only thing I've done with the footage is add the .R3D Quicktime codec so I can see the footage, and I did a dummy import of one clip into FCP under the 4096X2048 resolution .mov file it gave me. Of course, the footage looks fantastic but that's a massive resolution and it lags like crazy, so it's clear I've stepped into a different world. Also, it appears that doing an "direct" import like that may not be the correct way to approach the editing process. I've heard a lot of talk about using clipfinder to transcode first... this confuses me (mostly the "why would I take quality away from the footage before I even start editing?" question), but it seems to be common practice.

My question: is there a starter's set of guidelines/tools that I should use for my editing? I'll likely be printing this to SD-DVD and Blu-Ray, and I've been told converting to 2K is the most ideal conditions, but right now this is somewhat over my head. It's unlikely we'll print to film, but I don't want to close the door on that right away either.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
Re: REDOne Footage - editing start
on Jul 27, 2010 at 4:27:41 am

1) Transcode to ProRes or ProRes HQ using REDCine-X. If you do not have access to a RED Rocket, this may take some time, even on a very powerful Mac.

2) Edit in ProRes. You will get a long way without even going to 2K. Many of your possible output options (QT, Web, DVD, Tape) will look just fine coming from ProRes.

3) Finish your edit, create an EDL, and take your original R3D files to a facility with a proper online system (i.e. Scratch), if you want to go out to 2K/ Film. This will cost money, but its the correct (only?) way to really get it done.

and most importantly....

4) If you have an opportunity to do another RED shoot, do a complete camera test, first. You need to know what your post-production workflow is going to be from end-to-end ~before~ you go out and start shooting. This will keep you from being added to the growing rust heap of RED projects that never make it through post.

Here's are some good posts you might want to read as well:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/242/4509

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1080647

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/242/4124

JM

Return to posts index

Mark Drewe
Re: REDOne Footage - new problem
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:16:23 pm

Hello again;

I went out and bought a book (RED: The Ultimate Guide to using the Revolutionary Camera), and it's helped greatly - however now I seem to be stuck at my next snag - the log and transfer window. When I go to the import preferences, I have only two plugin options to choose from - P2 and AVCHD plugin - no Red plugin options (even though I thought I downloaded and installed the FCP plugin from Red.com/support). I set everything to ProRes422 (HQ) nonetheless. When I try to import a folder of footage from my external harddrive where all the RED data and folders are stored, I get the following error message:

WARNING:

"A003_07108H" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

What am I doing wrong? I'm aware these are noob questions but I'm new to dealing with RED footage. I'm using FCP 6.0.6, but I have a feeling the problem lies with the plugin not appearing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Drewe
Re: REDOne Footage - SOLVED - thank you Noah Kadner!
on Aug 9, 2010 at 5:56:17 pm

For those that have had similar problems to mine (log and transfer issues):

Because I was using FCP 6.0.6, I had to install the Final Cut Studio 2 RED plugin as opposed to the Studio 3. That was why I couldn't see the plugin in my log and transfer window. I transcoded my footage to 2K, and am working on a rough cut of the film.

Sidenote, I also went out and bought Noah Kadner's book "The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera" - and for a rookie to RED workflow, this book is like an encyclopedia of useful information on how to properly build a functional workflow. I noticed that he occasionally posts on the boards, so I just wanted to give a shout-out to him as a thanks. So, thanks!

Off to edit.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]