FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red MX + PFTrack matchmove advice

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Braden Wheeler
Red MX + PFTrack matchmove advice
on Jul 20, 2010 at 1:41:16 pm

Hey everyone, I'm shooting thursday on the RED MX and adding CG in post using PFTrack for matchmove. The camera will be mounted to a jimmy-jib, so all of the motion will be smooth, but I want to make sure I don't screw myself in post with motion blur. I'm relatively new at matchmove (have successfully tracked and solved maybe a dozen shots), and feel pretty confident in general, but I can't fudge this one, it has to be perfect. I was wondering, is it a common practice to crank up the shutter speed to avoid motion blur and therefor make an easier track? And what kind of effect would this have on the look of my footage, I know that the motion blur is pleasing to the eye, will less motion blur look weird? If this isn't a great forum for this question, can anyone point me to one? Much appreciated,
Braden Wheeler
Mk3Creative.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Red MX + PFTrack matchmove advice
on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:02:39 pm

I'd suggest using a proper shutter speed and not concerning yourself with how it would affect motion tracking. For 24p, that's typically between 1/48 and 1/60 for normal looking motion. Too slow and it looks smeary/ghosting, too fast and it's staccato, saving private ryan style. Any good DP will be able to set this up to see clearly on the monitor.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]