FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redcine-X transcode to ProRes Proxy not recognized by QuickTime

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felipe Fenton
Redcine-X transcode to ProRes Proxy not recognized by QuickTime
on Jul 7, 2010 at 6:58:23 am

Hello everyone,

I am doing a batch export of files through Redcine-X to ProRes Proxy at 2k. I am using a 2.26GHz 8 core Nehalem Xserve with 11GB of RAM and a Red Rocket card. Many of the resulting QuickTimes that I get are not recognized by QuickTime (I get the "The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands" error message. But many are OK. There doesn't seem to be any logic or sequence to this. Anybody having any similar issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Redcine-X transcode to ProRes Proxy not recognized by QuickTime
on Jul 7, 2010 at 11:52:38 am

Perhaps you could list the following:

-RCX QT render settings
-Frame size
-FCP settings and version
-QT player and version

Peace

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:02:35 pm

It seems like Felipe is using the same setting for all the clips but some are rendering corrupted. Felipe, try to attack those clips by themselves one at the time. Maybe throw away a few preferences and restart. Change the output settings to lower quality and frame size formats and determine if the corruption goes away or not.

We have had a few strange things happened with the Rocket without any logical reason. Sometimes (we think) the corrupted file starts on camera and there's nothing we can do or it has taken us a long time of trial and error to figure it out.

I got your email. I'll call you in a few hours.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Now Posting: 'Battle of the Wedding Designers' - Fridays 9PM on TLC
- Visit our studio's website.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Felipe Fenton
on Jul 7, 2010 at 3:53:19 pm

Shoot. I think you might've hit the mark Stuart. The original footage has TONS of dropped frames. Production was shooting an off-road show without proper dampening for the drives which were dropping frames due to the vibration caused by the race cars. The original footage is viewable, but with dropped frames. Now, one thing that I've noticed on ALL of the transcodes that aren't working is that they are ALL 2.15 GB. I do have a few 2.15 GB files that do play, but I wonder if there is a cap to the size of QT that Redcine X will transcode? And thanks for responding David, here are the settings of my system and transcodes:

2.26GHz Dual-Quad-Core Intel Xeon
11 GB RAM
Red Rocket card installed on PCI-e 16 slot
Running Redcine-X

Transcode settings:
QT ProRes Proxy
2048x1024 (original footage size)
29.97 (original footage frame rate)
Debayer Setting: Full on all (although I don't think this matters with the Red Rocket installed)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 7, 2010 at 5:45:14 pm

wow- I'm a little surprised that camera operators just keep shooting away when they're dropping frames. It's not like you just lose a single frame- that's a really really bad sign that means your whole show is at risk. Shock proof your camera rig properly or shoot with a RED RAM module. Otherwise you're just shooting yourself in the foot...

And I say this not because it helps the OP all that much but hopefully someone else in pre-prod will read this. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jul 7, 2010 at 7:18:48 pm

2.15 GB sounds very bad! The only chance you may have is transcoding in chunks with a RR.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Graeme Smith
on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:07:59 pm

Hey Guys,

Did anyone determine the cause of this problem over the past couple of months? I'm having the same problem and am quite sure that it has to do with the Red Rocket. If I try to isolate the bad files and transcode them one at a time using the Rocket, I still get corrupt files. However, if I isolate the bad files and transcode them on a different computer, the files come out clean. I'm assuming that the problem is not with the original files, for this reason.

I've also noticed that the corrupt files are typically 8+ minutes in length.

Any ideas on how to tweak the process to get this running smoothy?

Thanks,

Graeme

Return to posts index

Felipe Fenton
Re: dcine-X transcode to ProRes Proxy not recognized by QuickTime
on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:35:42 pm

Hi,
We found this to be a problem writing the quicktimes to networked drives. For some reason the RED software didn\\\\\\\'t want to write anything over 2.15GB to these drives (even though it went through the whole process and marked the clip as exported with no issues). Our workaround was to create a folder on the desktop of the computer that had RedCine installed and configured a folder action that would move all files from this folder to the destination folder of our choice. We then exported everything from RedCine to this folder. Worked like a charm. The only issue we found with this was that the folder action would always leave one or two clips on the desktop folder and we would have to move them manually, but it wasn\\\\\\\'t a huge deal. Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Scott Colthorp
Re: dcine-X transcode to ProRes Proxy not recognized by QuickTime
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:24:59 pm

I've been trying to figure out this 2.15GB issue for weeks. Rendering to a network drive was the issue. Thank-you. Thank-you. Thank-you.

Best.

http://www.scottcolthorp.com/
http://atmospherepictures.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]