FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio - Proxies into Color

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Francis
Final Cut Studio - Proxies into Color
on Jun 25, 2010 at 3:08:59 pm

Hello

I've never properly worked with RED footage in Final Cut so I was wondering if someone could advise me on the workflow from FCP into Color using proxies. I've managed to acquire a couple of RED clips to mess with so as to gain an understanding before I ever work on a full project.

Basically, I'm looking to create an edit using the RED proxies; probably using the '_M' files. Should I import using 'Log and Capture' or simply 'Import' the .RDC folder

When it comes to grading, i'd like to do this using the raw footage. Is it simply a case of 'Send to Color' for the proxies to match-up or is there something else I have to setup.

I've searched several of the other threads on this topic but I can't seem to find a definative answer to what I want to understand.

Thanks

Chris Francis

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Re: Final Cut Studio - Proxies into Color
on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:08:52 pm

Hi Chris,

[Chris Francis] "Should I import using 'Log and Capture' or simply 'Import' the .RDC folder"

With Log & Transfer you can:
A: Convert the files into ProRes 422
OR
B: 'Re-wrap' the .R3D files as Quicktime video files.

'Option A' takes longer but will give you better performance while editing. You will however have to conform the files back to .R3D if you intend to grade the raw files.

'Option B' is much faster to import but editing performance will be slowed. This is generally fine for short promos or fast-turnaround work. Send to Color will automatically link you back to the raw files for grading.

I wouldn't bother importing the RDC folder if you are intending to eidit with the _M files - instead use Clipfinder 2.2, which comes with a good manual. Again, editing with proxies yields slow performance and occasionally unstably. Send to Color will link you back to the raw files but you will likely need to use Clipfinder to 'Fix Looping Bug' of the Color project file.

However, I and many others recommend none of the above methods! I like to use the following procedure...
1. Organise my video files in Clipfinder
2. Still in Clipfinder render out to a low quality offline format (usually ProRes Proxy SD or HD)
3. Edit with FCP
4. Use Cinema Tools to conform back to the .R3D files
5. Grade raw files in Color

This might sound like a time-consuming option, but believe me when I say it'll save you a load of frustration and problems in the long run!

Good luck,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Chris Francis
on Jun 26, 2010 at 11:17:07 am

[Alex Elkins] "Send to Color will automatically link you back to the raw files for grading."

When I do this, the 'Resolution Presets' in Color's Project Settings tab seems to be set to the resolution of the proxy file. If I change this manually to the max resolution, does it conform it back to it's RAW image size/data?

Color asks 'Would you like to scale your clips to the new resolution?', I assume doing this with proxies doesn't actually stretch the pixels, but re-conforms the image to maximum size as I want it to be graded?

Also am I right in thinking changing the resolution presets, changes the size at which Color renders clips out?

Thanks

Chris Francis

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Jun 27, 2010 at 9:17:25 am

Hi Chris

[Chris Francis] "If I change this manually to the max resolution, does it conform it back to it's RAW image size/data?"

Yes. Color is referencing the R3D files, which presumably are 4K unless you filmed high-speed. Color 1.5 allows you to conform to 4K. Earlier versions allow only up to 2K.

[Chris Francis] "Color asks 'Would you like to scale your clips to the new resolution?', I assume doing this with proxies doesn't actually stretch the pixels, but re-conforms the image to maximum size as I want it to be graded?"

Yes. If you look under the Geometary tab you should find that if you've set your sequence to exactly the original resolution, i.e. 4K, the scale on your clips should be set to 1, indicating no scaling is taking place.

[Chris Francis] "Also am I right in thinking changing the resolution presets, changes the size at which Color renders clips out?"

Yes. So your best bet is to set your sequence to the size you intend to deliver the content at, unless you're happy to wait forever for a 4K file to render!

All the best,
Alex

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Chris Francis
on Jun 27, 2010 at 4:19:43 pm

Great, that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

Thanks very much for the help.

Chris Francis

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 25, 2010 at 6:42:32 pm

I would be very wary of editing with Proxy files instead of rendered media.

In recent tests I had all kinds of problems when sending to Color. The reason is the TC that Color reads in the XML.

If you are using an offline, online workflow it is much wiser to use rendered media and the Clipfinder method.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]