and working with the producer on a budget to upgrade my
editing system.

I wanted to put together an exact list of everything I will need
in terms of my system so I am fully capable of editing a RED
project.

I have an old 2005 G5 (Not Intel), so I am assuming I will need
a new Power Mac with intel. If you guys could confirm it would be
a huge help.

Here is a list of what I have put together so far that I will need.
Would appreciate any thoughts about stuff I may need that is not
on this list.

Mac Pro
8 Core
2.66 GHZ Quad Core
Intel xeon 6GB RAM
NVIDIA GE Force GT 120 Card
$3,500

Question: Do I need this tower or can I go with the less expensive
dual core from Mac? I believe it is $2,500

I was told that the NVIDIA card is sufficient. I am transcoding the footage from
4K to Prores. Can I get by with the NVIDIA card that comes with the computer
or do I need a KonaLH or Blackmagic video card?

What about graphics card? I have a Radeon x1900 on my old system.
Do I need to upgrade or can I get away with the one that comes with the Powermac?

At home I have an old 23" cinema display and a CRT standard def external monitor.
I am assuming the CRT is no good. I am assuming I need to purchase a new
external monitor. I was told the HP Dreamcolor monitor for 2K is good.
Can I get away with the HP and my old cinema display with no other external monitors.

Sorry if this is newbie stuff but I haven't cut a lot of HD projects. I'm used to
conforming which I know is old school.

We are going to a place in LA to transcode our dailies to ProRes so I won't need a Red Rocket
Card. Correct?

The last project I shot was around 50 hours of footage. I know! I am assuming
we will be close to that on this one. So I was told I'd need about 6TB of external drive space.
So make that 12TB backed up. I was told to go G-Tech but not get the RAID drives,
and stack the 2TB drives. Let me know also if this is correct?

I shouldn't need any kind of convertor box if I get the HP Dreamcolor monitor and I
am editing in ProRes right?

Anything missing from this list?

I would also appreciate any insight regarding workflow issues and words of wisdom from
people who have had problems in the past and want to help people go down the
right path.

I am planning on getting the latest version of Final Cut Pro available and I would like to
Color Correct in Apple Color when I am done.

Sorry for the long email. I do appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Chris Martini

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Editing Room Checklist for RED Project
on Jun 11, 2010 at 1:26:01 am

I'd spring for the RED Rocket- you'll quickly eclipse the cost of one with all those ProRes transfers and you can always sell it when you're done. I'm assuming you plan to grade the thing as well- for what tho? Film, HD, DVD?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Christopher Martini
on Jun 11, 2010 at 3:20:20 am

Thanks Noah! I just told the producer what you advised. Would it be a very long time for my machine to
transcode the RED footage, as opposed to another place doing it? Just not sure how long the process
takes. Chris

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 11, 2010 at 6:58:38 pm

Depends on the machine and the amount of footage and how urgent. In most cases with a current model Mac Pro an overnight batch is enough to keep up with single camera or dual camera dailies...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Christopher Martini
on Jun 12, 2010 at 1:17:35 am

Thanks a lot Noah. I think I'll run it overnight and save some money, selling the card after.
Thanks for the great advice. Chris

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Jun 12, 2010 at 4:11:24 am

Hi Christopher..... Take a look at this post. It has some info that might help you.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1080688

If this is your first major RED project, be sure to do a full camera test. Verify that your workflow from camera-to-transcoding-to-editing-to-final output actually works, before you shoot. This will help you a lot in planning, keep you in budget, and allow you to get across the finish line successfully.

Good luck on your feature!

JM

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Jun 13, 2010 at 12:03:40 pm

Yeah, dropping loads of cash on the transfer would be unwise in my opinion. Even without a rocket, transcoding isn't unreasonably time consuming. The one thing I will echo is Noah's question of where this going afterwards. If its broadcast or film out then I would seriously think about you're ability to grade this. Not only will it take a lot of experience and knowledge, it would at least require some kind of I/O card and a Grade 1 monitor (and no the Dreamcolour will not do) which would run you into many thousands to set up. If its for the web or maybe a DVD you can probably get away with grading from the ProRes (just make sure you transcode to something good like 422HQ or 4444) and using you're Dreamcolour trhough and MXO2 Mini, which wouldn't set you back too much.

Andy

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Jun 13, 2010 at 6:05:15 pm

Or you can get Media composer 5 and work with the red files natively.
no transcoding.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Jun 13, 2010 at 7:27:31 pm

Media Composer 5 is not really a complete workflow, you would still require an online stage (maybe on a DS?) to grade well or go over the maximum resolution of 1080p (which you are almost certainly going to want to do if you are thinking of a film out or digital projection). Unless I'm mistaken, the new Avid has failed to introduce anything that would make it a viable onlining solution. I'm guesing it still doesnt have live scopes or secondary colour correction?

Andy

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:07:33 pm

Chris, since you have to make your feature on a budget, try making it twice. In order to not spend a quarter of a year in the editing room correcting the takes up to the quality of a feature, you, the Director, get together with he, the Producer, and the other makers and plan in advance if it`s possible to shoot all scenes with audio quality, good light, adjustable irises and color filters, and all special and regular effects made dead on the money, live, as it all goes into the recorder or recorders. By shooting it as right as possible the first time with oscilloscopes and quality monitoring on the audio, and storyboards for Engineers, Technicians, and Talent alike, now getting pecilled on as you go through the takes, you`ll then have a record of exactly what went right or wrong the first time and can get it both good and in sequence, the second time. Editing then, is reduced to making dailies, backups, promos, the special effects that were completely impossible when live, and the feature itself, not what you were just about to step into. After you`ve planned, you`ll still have to return to this topic to find out what you need. By the way, VISIT some shops that have lately made similar features successsfully. You`ll get turned down by some people and places you ask but what you get from the places you then visit will be easily worth it. Also, the especially good CRT display or two you`ll need to use for the editing project, is so commonplace, you should be able to borrow it.

Editing Room Checklist for RED Project
by Christopher Martini on Jun 10, 2010 at 8:36:10 pm
Hi all,
I am about to direct a RED feature. I am directing and editing
and working with the producer on a budget to upgrade my
editing system.
I wanted to put together an exact list of everything I will need
in terms of my system so I am fully capable of editing a RED
project.
I have an old 2005 G5 (Not Intel), so I am assuming I will need
a new Power Mac with intel. If you guys could confirm it would be
a huge help.
Here is a list of what I have put together so far that I will need.
Would appreciate any thoughts about stuff I may need that is not
on this list.

Mac Pro
8 Core
2.66 GHZ Quad Core
Intel xeon 6GB RAM
NVIDIA GE Force GT 120 Card
$3,500
Question: Do I need this tower or can I go with the less expensive
dual core from Mac? I believe it is $2,500
I was told that the NVIDIA card is sufficient. I am transcoding the footage from
4K to Prores. Can I get by with the NVIDIA card that comes with the computer
or do I need a KonaLH or Blackmagic video card?
What about graphics card? I have a Radeon x1900 on my old system.
Do I need to upgrade or can I get away with the one that comes with the Powermac?
At home I have an old 23" cinema display and a CRT standard def external monitor.
I am assuming the CRT is no good. I am assuming I need to purchase a new
external monitor. I was told the HP Dreamcolor monitor for 2K is good.
Can I get away with the HP and my old cinema display with no other external monitors.

Sorry if this is newbie stuff but I haven't cut a lot of HD projects. I'm used to
conforming which I know is old school.

We are going to a place in LA to transcode our dailies to ProRes so I won't need a Red Rocket Card. Correct?
The last project I shot was around 50 hours of footage. I know! I am assuming we will be close to that on this one. So I was told I'd need about 6TB of external drive space.
So make that 12TB backed up. I was told to go G-Tech but not get the RAID drives, and stack the 2TB drives. Let me know also if this is correct?I shouldn't need any kind of convertor box if I get the HP Dreamcolor monitor and I am editing in ProRes right? Anything missing from this list? I would also appreciate any insight regarding workflow issues and words of wisdom from
people who have had problems in the past and want to help people go down the right path. I am planning on getting the latest version of Final Cut Pro available and I would like to Color Correct in Apple Color when I am done.
Sorry for the long email. I do appreciate any help you guys can give me. Chris Martini

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]