FORUMS: list search recent posts

Post Production With The RED

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Gill
Post Production With The RED
on Jun 7, 2010 at 6:29:51 pm

Hi there, just wondering what VIDEO CARD is best suited to work with the RED using FCP. Been looking into the RED ROCKET and that seems to be the direction I'm heading. However really open to opinions and some expertise. I want to run two editing monitors and a separate for reference monitoring purposes so 3 in total.

Very grateful for any help,

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Post Production With The RED
on Jun 7, 2010 at 10:02:39 pm

Depends what you mean- the RED Rocket is not a video card per se. Technically it's an accelerator card that specifically speeds the render and playback of R3D files. It has no other function but does that one single function far better than any other piece of hardware out there...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Learn DSLR Cinematography.

Return to posts index

Gil Woodley
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:30:18 am

Hi Noah,

I'd like to piggyback on this post if I could - it's in the same ballpark.

I'm setting up a home system for post-production on some Red projects I'll be shooting this year. I'm purchasing an FSI monitor (LM2470W) and I'm trying to decide between a Kona3 and a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 3D card for my Mac.

I've been over the specs and while there are differences, they seem to do approximately the same thing (but my technical knowledge of some aspects of the cards is limited).

So the question is, which one is better - or, put another way, is there any compelling reason why I would choose one over the other?

Money is not the issue - though, obviously, paying $1000 for the BM card leaves me with some change in comparison ;-). I want to get the right system.

Just to add some details: good, colour-critical monitoring is my primary focus; 3D is not likely to be part of my work flow; I might consider Resolve for Mac sometime in the future - but am not in any hurry (I want to see what happens when users start posting}; my grading will be in FCS/Color and I composite in Nuke.

I'd appreciate any advice - especially if there are things the Kona card does that the BM doesn't and which would be worth having...

Thanks
Gil

btw - for what it's worth, your book has been an important resource for me in preparing for my projects.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Noah Kadner
on Jun 8, 2010 at 4:38:42 pm

I'd go Kona 3. I'm not a marketing guy but that's what I use more often. You can ask this on the AJA and BMD forums if you want specifics.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Dale Gill
on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:16:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did forget to mention i was considering the KONA 3 which i noticed that you also posted thats your choice of preference which also helps. I'm sure i will go with the KONA 3 but another quick question. Is the ROCKET something i could use alongside the Kona because of its function or is there relatively not much need because the Kona can handle the same function but at a slower rate.

And i would like to say your book about the Red and it's work flows has been brilliant reading for me so you have another fan in the UK.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:12:29 pm

CHeck with RED on that- in general my understanding is that they cannot co-exist in a system. WE have one MacPro as the RED Rocket machine and another as the Kona 3 workstation. Sad but hey...

Noah

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 12, 2010 at 12:00:13 am

don't forget that the Kona 3 and the Red Rocket in the same MAC won't boot with the Nvidia card - the ATI card apparantly does not have this issue, and will let everything come up (but not with the Nvidia card - even the expensive one). At least, that was a recent discovery - who knows what changes week by week these days.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Patrick Ortman
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:17:49 pm

We're running the RED Rocket and a Kona 3 in the same MacPro, it's a 4 core system. We also have the higher end ATI video card and a eSATA RAID card in the tower. No problems at all, although it DOES get a wee bit hot in there.

I have to say, I would never shoot on RED again without access to a Rocket. If you can't afford one, you should rent one or outsource your transcoding. It's really the difference between a usable post workflow and a truly hair-pulling experience.

---------------------
http://www.patrickortman.com
Web and Video Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]