FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED final cut color tempature issues

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Gregg
RED final cut color tempature issues
on May 24, 2010 at 8:26:51 am

Hi Guys,

This is my first time editing RED, so bear with me.

I've tried importing the files in a number of ways, and they all seem to be behaving strangely.

When I simply drag the M (medium) files into the time line, they look great. They look like the images we shot on set. The problem is that I have to render everything. Also, I don't have any RT options. I just get "Play base layer only." When I play the video it looks pixelated.

When I use redrushes, the images play fine but they are very yellow an dark.

What I want to have is images that look like the ones we shot on set, and that can be edited without rendering?

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Andrew

Andrew Gregg
Director
LiveABC Taiwan

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED final cut color tempature issues
on May 24, 2010 at 4:13:09 pm

If the camera had recent firmware, REDrushes is outdated. Use REDCine-X for conversion, it works much better. Don't work with proxies, the are causing more headaches than needed.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on May 24, 2010 at 6:49:01 pm

Hi Andrew,

You might want to look at Clipfinder as a second option beside RedCine-X. Personally I find RedCine-X clunky and a lot of its advanced features aren't much use in terms of prepping for offline editing, in my opinion.

With Clipfinder, in the Render window just make sure you have Look Source set to 'Camera' to ensure the rendered files come out with the in-camera settings. (See below)

You can download Clipfinder from http://www.daun.ch/hamingja/ (the free version does what you need).

I agree with Uli, don't attempt to edit with the Proxy files unless you absolutely have to (i.e. time constraints). You'll find the process far smoother rendering your clips out into a codec such as ProRes 422.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 24, 2010 at 7:09:02 pm

Clipfinder works fine with firmware 21 (and I really like it!), but I'm not so sure about 30, that's why I hesitated to recommend it. Better check with the author.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on May 24, 2010 at 10:16:56 pm

Hi Uli,

I can confirm I've used Clipfinder v2.2 with Build 30 R3D files. Seems the same as normal. I've not had a chance to test with M-X files yet though.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 25, 2010 at 2:35:08 am

Uli,

Build 30 M or M-X is the same thing. There is no special software decode for M-X footage shot build 30 vs. BUild 30 footage shot on RED ONE-M sensor.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 25, 2010 at 2:38:56 am

[Andrew Gregg] "When I simply drag the M (medium) files into the time line, they look great. They look like the images we shot on set. The problem is that I have to render everything. Also, I don't have any RT options. I just get "Play base layer only." When I play the video it looks pixelated. "

If you are editing with Proxy files then you must do the following.

1. make sure the sequence setting is set to PRORES not REDCODE.
2. Turn on all of the RT extreme features, playback and framerate to variable, etc.
3. Make sure your sequence frame size matches your M frame size.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 25, 2010 at 5:32:29 am

And use Colorfixer if you want to grade in Color…

Return to posts index

Andrew Gregg
on May 25, 2010 at 3:32:09 pm

Thanks everybody for all of the advice. I think I'm going to try clipfinder to see how that works.

Andrew Gregg
Director
LiveABC Taiwan

Return to posts index

Andrew Gregg
on May 25, 2010 at 3:35:03 pm

Oh, and the Red was an older build, so I think it should be fine.

Andrew Gregg
Director
LiveABC Taiwan

Return to posts index

Andrew Gregg
on May 26, 2010 at 5:39:30 am

Well, it still looks the same. Here an image of the clipfinder exported file:

775_clipfinderexport.png.zip

And here is what the quicktime proxy looks like:

776_quicktimeproxy.png.zip

Here are the settings I used.

777_clipfinderrendersettings.jpg.zip

They aren't exactly the same as the ones in the example that Alex so kindly shared, but this shouldn't affect the color, should it?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Andrew Gregg
Director

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on May 26, 2010 at 6:57:59 am

Open the clip in REDCINE-X or RED Alert and check out the metadata. If it looks different there than how it was monitored on set, just change the color temp, color space, gamma, etc. until it looks right, then transcode, create new proxies, or create a new RSX file.

From a colorist perspective, REDCINE-X is a great app to play around with and, despite what Alex said, the "advanced" features are exactly what more aspiring data wranglers, DIT's, and editors need to learn how to use, even for offline editing. Learning the in's and out's helps you understand how to get the most out of the R3D's.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
(Seriously though, that's the name on the paycheck)

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 26, 2010 at 11:23:47 pm

I am assuming you have installed this if you are working with B30 footage

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43841

david

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]