FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink Extreme HD for FCP Mac?????

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
trevor ambrose
Decklink Extreme HD for FCP Mac?????
on May 21, 2010 at 3:01:46 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm purchusing a Mac Pro 8 core for a FCP television series that I am editing. The transfer house is suggesting to transcode the rushes to ProRes 422 (LT) codec at 1920x1080 at 23.98 fps. My mac dealer is saying that I will need the Decklink Extreme HD card to handle the footage and that the cheaper Decklink Intensity Pro won't be able to do the job. The 1st assistant is saying Decklink Extreme is unnecessary.

I don't want the Decklink Extreme (because of costs). Do I really need it?

Also, is this resolution and codec simply too "hi rez" for an "off line" situation. Is there a better rez and codec that will do the job and chew up less drive space and tax the system less?

Thanks dudes,
Trev.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Arnie Schlissel
Re: Decklink Extreme HD for FCP Mac?????
on May 21, 2010 at 3:23:28 pm

The Decklink card is for monitoring or connecting to tape decks. It will not do anything to help or hinder the transcode to ProRes.

The Decklink Extreme can play 2k to a monitor, the Intensity cannot. Also, the current Extreme model supports 3D playout from both HDMI and dual-link SDI. The Intensity does not.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on May 21, 2010 at 5:04:44 pm

Thanks Arnie, that's really helpful.
So I guess what you are saying is that the "intensity" would satisfy most of my I/O needs in an offline setting and the "extreme" is more for online purposes? So it's not really necessary.
Do you have any good offline quality codecs and resolutions for transcoding red to FCP?
Again, thanks for responding.
Trevor Ambrose

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Alex Elkins
on May 21, 2010 at 3:26:49 pm

Hi Trev,

Presumably you're shooting on RED, which it being a file format means you don't need a Decklink anything if you're just offlining. What any of the Decklink/Kona/Matrox cards will do however is allow you to preview your edit on an broadcast monitor, which is of course veyr useful. They won't in any way benefit conversions to ProRes - the only card that will is the RedRocket.

You could transcode to ProRes Proxy if this is just for an offline. It really depends how critical/technical your exec producer is! If they know the score I'd say go for ProRes Proxy at 720p or even SD (quicker for making DVD viewing copies etc)
If you think the person with the money wants to be wowed by being able to say "look, we're so good we can offline in HD!!" then go for ProRes LT/1080p.

I'd recommend Clipfinder for converting the files if you don't have a RedRocket.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed
Check out my latest addition to the Creative Cow Reels Section

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on May 21, 2010 at 3:31:43 pm

Yeap, it seems to me they just want to sell you something you don't need if the only thing you want to do is a straight conversion.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Now Posting: 'Private Chefs of Beverly Hills' - Fridays 10PM on the Food Network
- Visit our studio's website.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on May 21, 2010 at 5:12:44 pm

Thanks a lot Stuart. That's very helpful.
Trevor Ambrose

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on May 21, 2010 at 5:09:22 pm

Hey Alex,
Thanks for your excellent advise and info.

So basically, I have no need for the "extreme" in an offline setting?

Also, is the Pro rez proxy much bigger than SD? Can SD run at 23.98fps?

Take care man and thanks alot for the info,
Trevor Ambrose

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 21, 2010 at 9:34:50 pm

ProRes is bigger, but storage is cheap these days. Do you really want to offline in SD (even if it can run in 23,98)?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on May 24, 2010 at 7:10:55 pm

Hi Trevor,

[trevor ambrose] "So basically, I have no need for the "extreme" in an offline setting?"

Pretty much. Any video cards, extreme or otherwise will allow you to playback on an external monitor, which is of course useful. If you think you'll ever have a need for some of the Extreme's features you could go for it. It's a very good card but probably overkill for most users.

[trevor ambrose] "Also, is the Pro rez proxy much bigger than SD? Can SD run at 23.98fps?"

ProRes Proxy (and all the other ProRes formats) can be any frame size and framerate you like. The different versions of ProRes are just a measure of the visual quality of the file, so given that perfect quality isn't too important for offlining I tend to go with the format that takes up the least space and renders the fastest - ProRes Proxy SD (ProRes LT HD if people want HD offlines).

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on May 26, 2010 at 3:36:43 pm

Alex, wow. Again thank you. That is great advise. I have one last question. What would be the practical application of an "extreme" card? Why would I ever need it?

Thanks for your time and excellent advise. I've been stressed out about this purchase and you've really helped me gain some clarity.
Trevor Ambrose

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on May 26, 2010 at 4:09:00 pm

Happy to help, Tevor.

[trevor ambrose] "What would be the practical application of an "extreme" card? Why would I ever need it?"

3D functionality is one major reason for someone to use it. Also up-conversion, 2K playback, analogue AND digital input/output, HDMI i/o... many reasons to get one but not so many people needing it.

Here's the tech specs for all the info.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on May 31, 2010 at 6:35:49 pm

Alex,
One last thank you. You have been so wonderfully helpful.
Hope to speak (write) to you again.
Trevor Ambrose

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]