FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Conversion Red Camera

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter harf
Frame Rate Conversion Red Camera
on May 20, 2010 at 8:05:14 pm

Hi everybody,

Going to shoot a documentary for National Geographic with the RED, they want the product delivered in 59.94 fps. We are going to shoot time-lapse and are going to overcrank. Question: What is the best way/technique/program/software to convert footage with a different frame-rate to 59.94 fpc?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Frame Rate Conversion Red Camera
on May 20, 2010 at 8:16:46 pm

You don't need that, it's different with the RED. Set your project to 59.94, then do time-lapse or overcranking with "Varispeed".

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

peter harf
on May 20, 2010 at 8:28:53 pm

Really? That's awesome! So I can shoot in whatever frame-rate I want and when I drop the footage into my timeline (which is 59.94) it plays at 59.94 and converts automatically? Is that how it works? BTW, Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

peter harf
on May 20, 2010 at 11:30:33 pm

Anybody out there knowing the answer???

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 21, 2010 at 6:01:35 am

The Red One has been constructed with film in mind, not video. Imagine a film camera that can shoot at different frame rates, but the projector will always run at constant speed. The Project Settings are the speed of the projector, the Varispeed settings are the speeds your camera is shooting at.

But you should read this up in the manual very carefully, since speeds are limited by imag size, compression ratio and recording media.

Noah Kadner's book might be a very useful start for you.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]