FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED color space settings for AE keying

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leigh Scott
RED color space settings for AE keying
on May 19, 2010 at 9:58:08 am

What are the optimal settings for green screen keying when working with R3D files in After Effects? Is the advantage simply in working with 4k or do the color space settings in the interpret footage section effect the quality of the key?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED color space settings for AE keying
on May 19, 2010 at 6:50:03 pm

Greatly depends on what the final output it meant to be. Are you going out to film? 1080p? What will the rest of the post chain use as color space/format for finishing?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Leigh Scott
on May 20, 2010 at 12:40:51 am

It is going out for film print and dcp first. We will end up mastering our own HD for television and our own DVD. The HD will end up being dropped to NTSC and PAL for foreign.

REDSPACE looks the best to the eye and the colorist prefers to work in that. But, when we exported dpx sequences for the VFX guys they were having a problem keying.

When they went back to the R3D files, the keys pull in minutes (rather than hours). Just wondering if it has more to do with the difference between the 2k dpx files and working in 4k or if the color space info from Apple Color is hurting the ability to key.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on May 20, 2010 at 3:23:23 am

I'll usually grade the R3D in REDCine-X or Color to get a good basis for keying. REDSPACE is good, but it all depends on the shot. Sometimes this will affect the overall color of the subjects in a negative way, but keep in mind, this is only for creating a matte. After I transcode the clip, I'll throw it into After Effects to get a good key, then use that alpha as a matte for the original clip in order to maintain the properties of the original. It's a bit of a workaround, but I've gotten good results from terribly shot footage this way.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
(Seriously though, that's the name on the paycheck)

Return to posts index

Leigh Scott
on May 20, 2010 at 4:24:43 am

Thanks. That's similar to what we were thinking about doing.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 20, 2010 at 1:07:51 pm

Also depends which space the shots were shot in. I.e. was the DP exposing the shots while looking at them in REDSpace on the show? That would be important...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Leigh Scott
on May 22, 2010 at 12:14:19 am

Yes. They were monitored in REDSPACE.

Since we can use a track matte with the footage in proper color space, I can't help but wonder if one of the other settings might be better for pulling keys. Also, I find it hard to imagine that there aren't huge advantages to working with the footage in 4k.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 22, 2010 at 5:46:00 am

Sure there are. If you scale down after compositing, you scale down any artefeacts too…

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Feb 28, 2012 at 10:48:55 pm

Do I need to change any settings before I key with the Red footage?
I've keyed all types of footage with keylight in AE and have never had a problem.
But when I try to use Red One, Epic, or Scarlet r3d or ProRes files, the key is awful.
The setup for shooting was correct. Do I need to apply a LUT or shift anything?
The green screen looks good, but the faces are pretty green.

Brandon Morris
Co-owner/Creative Director
http://www.fugostudios.com

RED Scarlet, Canon T2i, Panasonic HPX-170
Nikon Primes
Mac Pro 12-core 64GB RAM (2011)
Mac Pro 8-core 12GB RAM (2008)
Mac Pro 4-core 8GB RAM (2006)
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM Lion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved