FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Post Production Workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Williams
RED Post Production Workflow
on May 11, 2010 at 10:07:35 am

Dear All,

Just wanted to get a bit of advice about the post production work flow for RED. I have had a look at the website, and spoken to a few people, but I am still not entirely clear which is the best way to go.

The film has been shot on RED ONE, and it will be edited on Avid Media Composer (a Mac-based system - so Metafuze cannot be used), using the proxy files...or at least that is the plan!

Is anyone able to give me a blow-by-blow account for getting the footage in and out of the edit suite in most efficient way...an idiot's guide if you like! Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes

Peter

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED Post Production Workflow
on May 11, 2010 at 2:29:25 pm

I'd head over to REDuser and check through their Avid board. A lot depends on which version of Avid you're planning to use and whether it's important to edit RAW or you can live with DNXHD downconverts. Also my book wouldn't hurt for general workflow stuff.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Ross Tokach
on May 11, 2010 at 8:31:46 pm

I just finished a project on R3D, I have to say it was super easy. I used Adobe CS4 with the r3d plugin. Then it is as easy as transfering the footage out of the cam, into the hardrive. Then open a new project = R3d 4k. Then once you are in, import your footage and set your viewers to 1/4 resolution - on bttom of program and source monitor window. If you are doing it on a laptop you can set your project up for r3d quarter= when you start the project.

At any time you can go to the native resolution by changing your windows to full, when you are done editing it, open a new sequence at 4k resolution or 1080 if you are going to go straight to dvd. Then copy your timeline from the quarter resolution timeline and paste it into the new one.

The nice thing is, after you have edited it, opening it in after effects is as simple as importing the project and selecting the sequence when it opens.

You can go back and forth all day without any problems and you can integrate adobe's other software. In the end, render to uncompressed AVI and import it into adobe media encoder and encode to what you need.

I realize you want to use avid, you can buy an adobe system for a fraction of the cost of a good DX lab, I would rethink the platform. I find that AVID is amazing, no renders is nice, but unnecessary unless you are doing a feature, with many graphics and titles or multicam.= even in those cases I have to think hard about using avid.

-Ross Tokach

"Oop, I think my render is done!"

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 12, 2010 at 6:48:30 am

And in CS5 it's even better (MUCH better).

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Peter Williams
on May 12, 2010 at 8:56:30 am

I'm sure CS4 & CS5 have their merits, but unfortunately I am tied to using Avid Media Composer V4.02, so I will have to figure out the Avid workflow. Essentially, I need to get the footage into the system for an offline edit, and then pass everything on for the film to be onlined elsewhere. I have edited a project on RED before, but I have never had to deal with these issues, as someone had already done the dirty work for me!

Peter

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on May 16, 2010 at 12:12:48 am

Can you upgrade to Media Composer v5.0 (available in June) ?

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Media-Composer-Software/features

Avid improved the workflow with Red cam footage.

Return to posts index

Peter Williams
on May 16, 2010 at 8:34:37 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I can upgrade to Media Composer 5.0, but I am not sure I will be able to do it in time, as I suspect this will have to all be done and dusted by the end of the monty.

By the way, Noah I have ordered your book, which looks like it will answer most of my questions, so I am looking forward to receiving that through the post in the next couple of days.

Cheers

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]