FORUMS: list search recent posts

RedCine-x 194 EXR export problem?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John-Michael Trojan
RedCine-x 194 EXR export problem?
on May 6, 2010 at 4:24:50 pm

Using RedCine-X w/o rocket to debayer MX footage to openEXR and everything is coming out very dark. Using the same settings (gamma is set to RedGamma) QTs and DPX seem fine.

I'm not sure if this is a problem importing the EXR files into Smoke or if they are coming out of redcine incorrectly.

Has anyone encountered this one before? The files look fine using a 1D LUT on import to smoke.

the metadata from camera says the DP intended to shoot 320 ISO, which works for all other file types, but I need to bump it up to 800ISO to get a decent image from the EXR files.

thanks,

John-Michael

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RedCine-x 194 EXR export problem?
on May 7, 2010 at 3:52:01 pm

I'd contact Deanan at RED about this. Maybe he can shed some light on it for you.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on May 7, 2010 at 11:30:03 pm

EXR is a linear light format and so will the exports be. At the moment, we only map into the 0-1 float range, but we'll extend that to full float support as we go. So yes - it should look very dark.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Paul Wiens
on Jul 13, 2012 at 6:40:21 pm

Hi Graeme (or anyone else) - We are receiving RED clips and need to work with them in Nuke, then deliver them in DPX with the same color that we received them in.
How can we achieve that? When we use RCX-Pro to export to .exr, the color doesn't match. When we export in DPX the color matches, but exr's are much better in Nuke.
Thank you kindly!
Paul

[Graeme Nattress] "EXR is a linear light format and so will the exports be. At the moment, we only map into the 0-1 float range, but we'll extend that to full float support as we go. So yes - it should look very dark."

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Jul 13, 2012 at 6:47:13 pm

So best way to do this is to use the fact that if you do a lin2log in Nuke, you'll get back to the same curve on the image that they should be using in grading, which is REDLogFilm. So you can either take their RLF exports and log2lin them in Nuke, or export the R3D as EXR and either way you do it, they will map back and forth and come out the other end matching. This is pretty much how it's done on major movies that have parallel grading / VFX routes and it works very well.

Return to posts index

Paul Wiens
on Jul 13, 2012 at 7:19:02 pm

Sorry Graeme, I couldn't find it on google: What is an "RLF export"?

It will be necessary for us to work with the same color in Nuke as it was delivered to us.
Could you please give a little bit more detail on the process of creating exr's (to be used in Nuke) with the same color as the original .r3d?

Thanks a lot for the advice - I'm really enjoying working with RED (and our Rocket! ;-)
Paul

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Jul 13, 2012 at 7:21:17 pm

RLF = REDLogFilm (just shorthand to save my typing....)

Email me - as we're getting into specific details of your project.

Graeme

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]