FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Proxies OK, but transcoded R3D Quicktime Freezes

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lee
Red Proxies OK, but transcoded R3D Quicktime Freezes
on May 4, 2010 at 4:45:37 pm

Hi

I am editing a feature and am having problems with one clip.

It's a fairly long take at about 3 1/2 minutes. I transcoded all the media using Clipfinder to Prores 422 Proxy. About 2/3 of the way into playback of the transcoded Quicktime file, the image freezes- or more specifically it seems to repeatedly flip flop between two frames until the end of the 3 1/2 minutes.

I tried:
1) Re-transcoding 3 times using Clipfinder. Exact same problem.
2) Transcoding with REDrushes. Same problem.
3) Transcoding with FCP7 Log & Transfer. FCP crashes.
4) Transcoding with R3D Data Manager. Same problem.

The odd thing is, the R3D proxies play back just fine.

Is there a workaround with this? Can anyone tell me what may have happened?

Unfortunately, this is an important dialogue shot, and it's the last/best take, AND although there is coverage (a reverse shot), the director had intended to use this shot uninterrupted.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Red Proxies OK, but transcoded R3D Quicktime Freezes
on May 4, 2010 at 5:27:20 pm

Try REDCine-X. And update QT on your system. Sounds more like an OS/QT issue than RED.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Chris Lee
on May 4, 2010 at 10:06:24 pm

Thanks, Noah. But my QT codecs are all up to date. I'm having no problem transcoding/editing other clips for the same project.

I just tried Redcine-x, about five times, even tried splitting the take into two parts with IN/OUT points around where there might be a corrupt frame, but RC-X either crashes on me, or produces two clips with black video head-to-tail.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on May 4, 2010 at 11:23:25 pm

Clipfinder.

Run Color looping bug fixer on the cColor project file.

Known issue.

May also be a corrupted clip file. Was the file you are editing from verified and copied correctly?

david

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on May 5, 2010 at 12:50:41 am

Maybe try RED undead too...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on May 5, 2010 at 8:30:24 am

Doesn't sound like the Colorfixer issue, which only creeps up in Color. I'm afraid it's a corrupt file.
It's very important to do checksum transfers when backing up footage from the RED Oneā€¦

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on May 5, 2010 at 11:30:35 am

Hi Chris,

This happened to some files I was transcoding last week and is something I've only encountered since Build 30, although research suggests this isn't the cause of the problem.

You have at least one corrupt frame in your file, which results in everything after that point failing to transcode correctly.
The only solution I found was the follwing:

1. Transcode from Clipfinder as a tiff image sequence. Keep an eye on the files as they're being created and eventually you'll find the point where frames begin to corrupt.

2. At this point, stop the transcode and open the file in RedAlert and jump to what you believe is the first corrupt frame. If RedAlert crashes or you find you can't jump back/forward a frame then you've found the culprit.

3. In RedAlert set an in point after the corrupt frame, then continue the transcode to tiff, ensuring you check the 'use RSX in/out points' box in Clipfinder's render window.

4. If there's only one corrupt frame then the sequence will complete, but my guess is you'll stumble across further corruption. Just repeat the above steps as necessary.

NB It's good practice to re-create the corrupt frames that you've skipped by duplicating (and re-naming appropriately) the frame before the corruption as a way of ensuring the tiff sequence is exactly the same duration as the original R3D. The effect of this is that rather than corrupt frames ruining the rest of the file you instead get a momentary pause before jumping to the next good frame, but at least video remains in sync.
Was sound recorded separately? I hope so as tiff sequences will not give you audio. You could maybe try dropping the proxy into Compressor and rendering a wav file. I'm not sure how the corrupt frames affect the audio of the files.

It appears this corruption is caused by bad backups of the files. Unfortunately unless you had an extremely diligent DIT working on the job it's normally only at this stage that you actually encounter these problems. You could say it was the digital equivalent to film's hair in the gate.

Some things to try to help prevent this in future:
  • Format your CF cards using Disk Utility to MS-DOS FAT32, then format to the RDM file structure in-camera.
  • Re-install camera firmware.

Good luck with it, and I hope you don't find any more corrupt files - last week I had a 20-hour shift fixing this stuff. This is a time-consuming solution!

Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Chris Lee
    on May 5, 2010 at 10:04:52 pm

Wow thanks everyone for the extra tips.

@Uli, once I got onboard I made sure everytime a hard drive was copied or backed up we used R3D Data Manager to perform checksum verify. Unfortunately, it's not clear if this happened during production when the media was downloaded from the camera.

@Alex, that sounds like an awesome workaround. I got exhausted just reading through it. We're going to try it. Our A.E. is only part time, and troubleshooting this already cost me an entire day and I'm supposed to be getting an assembly done of this movie asap. I'm going to print out your workaround and try it when I come up for air. I really appreciate you sharing the thorough steps, and will be sure to post a follow-up to this thread once I get some new information.

Best,

Chris Lee

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
    on May 6, 2010 at 10:44:41 am

No problem, hope you get it sorted. Just to add, I forgot to include the final step which is:

5. Open the tiff sequence with Quicktime (CMD+Shift+O) and then export as whatever editing codec you're offlining at.

All the best,
    Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]