FORUMS: list search recent posts

high speed on red cam

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Varouj Joulfayan
high speed on red cam
on Apr 27, 2010 at 10:24:20 pm

first time red cam user

just need to know what is the best way to shoot on red to get a clean slow motion clip on fcp ?
-the shoot is on psych chroma set
final output is Pal/SD (720-576)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: high speed on red cam
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:32:40 am

Cyc... Anyways- what do you mean by clean exactly? Shutter speed? Or something else?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:33:41 am

When shooting speed, always know that you need more light. As you record higher speeds more might is needed to compensate.

Want clean images. Use a lot of light.

You can get away with cleaner images by filming 3K scenes instead of filming it all 2K. Also, consider that you will be cropping the sensor so your wide lenses will get tighter. A 50mm at 4K is a 100mm at 2K, etc.

Do yer homework.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:10:02 am

And know the difference between project frame rate and varispeed.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Varouj Joulfayan
on Apr 28, 2010 at 8:02:15 am

thank you for the swift response everyone
& the correction noah .

by clean i meant smooth movements and not a lot of motion blur (not to create a nightmare for post in keying the shots)

Light is no problem ,we have a lot of it on set and all the prime lenses

The project frame rate for broadcast is 25 FPS ,

if i shoot at (2K, 2:1, Redcode 28, 120 fps )@ 25 FPS time base ,would the playback be smooth enough ? without compromising the quality?

or should i work on 24FPS or even 23.98 to keep the film look all the way through post, and then convert to 25FPS for broadcasting?

please advise.

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Apr 28, 2010 at 12:02:30 pm

I did a shoot a while back at 2k/120fps and it was super (and I mean *super*) smooth. We shot outdoors on a sunny day so light was not an issue. You're far better off to shoot high speed on location than to try and slow it down in post. That's where all the things you want to avoid will start creeping in. Take note of the things already said though, all very pertinent to your situation.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:29:41 am

Not sure what you mean by "smooth enough"? Why would 24p be smoother than 25p? The higher the playback frame rate the smoother the motion. In addition, anytime you spread a slower frame rate across a faster i.e. 24>25 or 24>30/60... it becomes less smooth because frames repeat.

The only reason to shoot 24 over 25 would be international deliverables or film out.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]