FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Time Code Break Points

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Tomlinson
Red Time Code Break Points
on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:12:07 am

Is there anyway I can read where the time code breaks are in a red clip.

So that I can copy the r3d that I just need for the shot.

Basically copy just 2gigs instead of 4-12gigs.

What I've been doing is just copying say the middle r3d in a 3 r3d clip.
Than I see the tc of that lone clip and can figure if it has what I need.

Copying full r3d folders seems just too inefficient storage-wise for what I need.

Thanks for any tips,
Tom
NYC

Tom Tomlinson
Telecine Ass't.
NYC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Red Time Code Break Points
on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:20:06 am

You have me a bit confused with the terminology you're using. Are you talking about individual R3D files within a RDM archive- i.e. every clip shot onto a CF card or Hard drive at once? Or are you talking about taking segments out of individual R3D files? Where's the timecode break exactly? Shouldn't be one. And in general I always recommend transferring every byte from the original media to the hard drive. That's your negative and you shouldn't toss any of it away...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Tom Tomlinson
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:16:06 am

I am talking about if I just need 10 seconds of a red clip,can't I copy off the source drives the part I need (just the 2 gigs).
If I have a clip thats continuously 3 minutes long (and is 3 r3d's B011_C002_0305UF_001 to 003) inside an rdc folder.

If it is starting at 1 minute and I know based on the tc in point and outpoint ( 1 minute thru to 4 minutes) of the entire clip, that I need from 3:30:00 to 3:40:00--I know I need to pull the 3rd r3d clip--_003.r3d.

So just pull the 3rd r3d, because thats all I need. I don't need the other 4 gig of r3d _001 & _002. It will save me storage space. If I need it down the road, I can copy the part I need to my san. But since the client gave me the final edl--why not pull just what I need.

Sometimes I am copying an entire RDC folder containing 6 r3d's. But I only want one 10 sec shot, So I am trying to figure out a way to be more efficient than copying approx 12 gigs for one 10 sec shot. I try to isolate it by looking at the overall time code length and guess where the shot I need would reside.

BTW, thanks for writing the book. It did alot of good for me and others.

Tom

Tom Tomlinson
Telecine Ass't.
NYC

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:19:19 am

Ha- thanks. But unfortunately R3Ds don't work that way. Without all the pieces you'll have issues. Perhaps put into the budget a new hard drive? 1TB is like $100 now...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Apr 27, 2010 at 6:37:46 am

While your terminology is a bit strange, may I ask what your final delivery is? Cine or HDTV or what else?
I might have a suggestion once knowing this.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Tom Tomlinson
on Apr 27, 2010 at 12:53:36 pm

I am color correcting selects from an edl given to me by the editor. This usually goes to an online for final conform. I work mostly in commercials.

The point of all this is that shooting with red is not like shooting with film. Its like shooting with tape. Its like you have almost an unlimited supply of film. So you can get lots of takes for shots. One recent job had several RDC folders with 8 r3d's (15 gig) in them.

Now to copy all this media over to my system takes time. It just seems inefficient to have to copy entire RDC's over for one brief shot. Thats takes up extra time and storage which I have to bill the client for.

If it was film, I would just scan in at 2k with handles and then its only 4 gig.

Tom Tomlinson
Telecine Ass't.
NYC

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Apr 27, 2010 at 1:30:58 pm

Well, then I have bad news for you, since there is no easy way to shorten them down. You could use the Log & Transfer function in Final Cut Pro to wrap them as native QuickTime, but given todays prices of storage, I don't hink it's economical to do this.

Best regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 27, 2010 at 5:11:53 pm

Or you could export portions from R3D files using RED Cine X to say another format like ProRes or DPX files. That would mirror your film workflow if you treat RED Cine as your 'telecine machine.' That's what it's intended for btw. http://www.red.com/support

But if you expect to continue with R3D files- there are simply not trimmable with existing tools. Oh and good luck telling RED you don't like their workflow compared to film... :)

Noah

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 29, 2010 at 3:51:44 am

Data granularity can be an issue if recording long takes to HD. The CF card will span across 2GB files so that's not so bad, though your stuck with a new clip whenever 2GB is reached. With LTO becoming the new "on the shelf" tape format, restoring 10s of GBs for every short shot becomes onerous. Interviews would fall into this category. Imagine needing a short sound bite from a half hour interview.

The Foundry figured out a way to trim R3D files without knowing how to encode redcode in Storm. I'd except this ability from Red or third parties eventually.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]