I am a film editor based in India and starting the edit of a feature film being shot on RED. The studio where I am going to edit is not happy and confident on mine using REDrushes to convert the files. they are insisting that I work with the medium resolution proxy files. But when i put those files in the FCP timeline, the image quality is bad(soft) and demands rendering. I am sure that using the Red rushes is the proper way of working with .R3D files.
need some worlds of wisdom...
I'd get Clipfinder- much faster processing and you can make nice ProRes offline versions for your editing and later relink the final cut to R3D files for grading. Editing with proxies is not really a great way to go performance wise.
Haha...well that was not tough at all..
Since its a feature film and after I finish the edit, the final film be relinked to .R3D files on SCRATCH and finally printed through Cinevator.
If I follow my process of going through Red Rushes and then editing on FCP through the converted MOV, hope I won't face any problem at any stage later. Also would like to know the process suggested by the post production team(i.e. directly working on proxy files without rendering them) is professional by any standards.
Really need help as I am having a tough time to convince them.
Cutting with the proxies is ok for something short that you need to edit quickly, but for a feature it's totally inadvisable. As you've found, you don't get good quiality and have to render all the time - how's that any good when you're showing a cut to the people paying for the film and have to ask them constantly to wait while you render everything.
Convert the files through Clipfinder or RedRushes and you'll be able to edit perfectly. Just don't rename ANY of the files!
Yeah I'd test the workflow before you commit to it, but I see no problem doing an offline edit with clipfinder converted ProRes files in FCP and then derive at EDL or XML for Scratch coming back out with Clipfinder again. All of this is documented in their manual.
I had done a test by editing a small sequence and then confirming it on Scratch and finally printing it through Cinevator. everything was perfect. The particular studio was completely against this and this made me doubt my method hence wanted help from the experienced people.
thanks a lot