FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED playback choppy in FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Gaynor
RED playback choppy in FCP
on Apr 20, 2010 at 9:52:27 pm

hey, so I shot this commercial on RED and I ingested the footage as ProRes, but I can't playback the footage at normal speed- it's all choppy as if the computer or hard drive can't handle it, but that's impossible I'm using an 8,000 dollar mac pro and the footage is on the internal SATA Raid hard drive... so I don't know what the problem is. I tried pulling in the proxies that RED creates for you, those all playback choppy too. FURTHERMORE, when I take a clip and pull it into the timeline and change the sequence setting to match exactly, it comes in undrendered... wtf?

Thanks!
Bryan

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: RED playback choppy in FCP
on Apr 20, 2010 at 10:44:34 pm

[Bryan Gaynor] ". wtf? "

Well since you don't say so what frame size you are working at, now that FCP has a 2048 x1566 limit at this time, so if you are trying to playback anything larger...

ProRes at full 4K RED raster size is about the same as uncompressed 10bit 1080- way too much data for an internal raid.

No matter how much your mac costs playback is about storage speed, it has NOTHING to do with the cost of the CPU.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED playback choppy in FCP
on Apr 21, 2010 at 5:42:24 am

Did you read the FCS workflow whitepaper from the RED site?

Until recently 4K would have played on a 50,000 dollar box. RED Rocket for 5 grand changed that, but it's not yet supported by FCP.

But if you generate your ProRes files in 2K or HD with RR or ClipFinder they should play fine in FCP.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]