FORUMS: list search recent posts

REDCINE-X ProRes HQ settings

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
REDCINE-X ProRes HQ settings
on Apr 13, 2010 at 9:33:09 pm

Hello

Using this application for the first time and when i get to the part of setup in quicktime i choose ProRes HQ, i select 23.98 which is what the footage is but then the compressor option throws me for a bit of a loop.

Am i meant to switch gamma correction to none or leave it on automatic and also do i check enable chroma filtering even tho i am transcoding the footage to HQ not 4444?

I also see that it selects 1920x1080 which is what i want but am i meant to select a fit to width for my 3k footage in the Framing window like i would in RedRushes or does this export option understand what needs to happen - likewise if the footage was 2K would it also know to fit to height?

thank you in advance for your time.

best
sean

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: REDCINE-X ProRes HQ settings
on Apr 14, 2010 at 12:20:21 am

Leave gamma filtering off- that's what I do. Your frame size should be an even divide of your source footage aspect ratio. 1920x1080 would be a good starting point assuming you shot 3K 16:9/HD.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Apr 14, 2010 at 1:39:56 am

Hey Noah,

Thank you for the reply i know you must be busy this week so much appreciated! I forgot to mention that i am using build 193 of RedCine-X just to be on the same page. Just curious as to whether or not you cover in depth RedCine-X instruction in your book - i was going to have this facility buy a copy, that is if everything isn't about to change this week already (NAB) : )?!

I was told by a red tech that because the footage on this job was shot with the new MX sensor i would not be able to use Redrushes and that I had to use RedCine-X (which i obviously had not yet used) on top of that I also was asked to create a one-light on the footage - saving my look presets along the way and applying to other clips and adjusting when necessary to match.

Exporting ProRes HQ 1920x1080
: Just to clarify do i only use the custom export i created for quicktime and allow its setting for 1920x1080 to do the work converting from 3K or do i indeed need to actually use the Frame Window to apply a fit to width of 1920x1080 (like i would in RedRushes).

Timecode Burn In
: does this burn all the way through the transcode where as in RedRushes you have some options (i.e. burn on first frame only) The reason I ask is because they are asking that we lay this footage to HDCAM sr and usually i would avoid having to slate each clip by just using RedRushes option to burn timecode on the first frame...but if RedCine-X can only do that on the entire clip then I will have to slate each shot on a timeline before laying to tape.

In and Out point:
I wanted to set in & out points on clips in order to run a bunch of tests on small pieces of the clips to figure this all out on my own through trial and error but I found that this was very confusing and difficult to use so i just had the entire clips rendering over-night (ps. did not see options for setting multiple cores or clips like in RedRushes so hopefully these tests will be done tomorrow am).

thank you and anyone who has a chance to reply.

cheers

sean

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Apr 14, 2010 at 2:11:22 am

oh and 4444 chroma filtering - did i need to check this as well?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]