FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED shoot data wrangling/set color correction

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Glucksman
RED shoot data wrangling/set color correction
on Apr 5, 2010 at 7:03:44 pm

Hi, everyone. I'll going to help out on a short film to be shot with a RED camera. I'll be doing on-set color correction and possibly some rough cuts of scenes. I have Final Cut Studio 3, and I recently downloaded both RED Alert and REDCine. I'm curious about the various workflows that are at my disposal. I've colored with RED footage before, but this is the first time I'll be working with the nuts and bolts of working with r3d and proxy clips and all that.
Would it make sense to do the editing in REDCine, or should I just color there and import the proxies into FCP for editing? And, if so, what advantage does REDCine have over RED Alert?

Thanks--this is all new to me.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED shoot data wrangling/set color correction
on Apr 5, 2010 at 7:40:07 pm

I'd suggest R3D Data Manager. That will make it a lot less easy to mess anything up. :)

http://www.r3ddata.com/

Get the production to buy it for you. It's better than having to reshoot something right?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Apr 6, 2010 at 5:52:35 am

By RedCine do you mean REDCine-X?

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Apr 6, 2010 at 4:17:46 pm

Yes, RED-Cine-X build 104. Is there a difference between the two? Pardon me while I wear my inexperience like a large, comfortable sweatshirt...

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Apr 6, 2010 at 4:55:21 pm

There are a bunch of workflows to choose from, but if you're just concerned with doing one lights on set, use RedCine-X for grading and use the proxies in FCP to do a rough edit. Even though you have a timeline with trim features in REDCine-X, you won't be able to sync audio. It's not designed as an editing application.

Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Apr 6, 2010 at 8:25:00 pm

That makes sense. I tried some minor editing using RED-Cine-X and found it clumsy.

What do you think of Noah's suggestion to use R3D Data Manager? Is it the sort of thing that someone like me should expect to need? I downloaded a 15-day trial version--I don't think it will be necessary for this project, which is a simple one-camera/one-location short, but I may use it anyway just to know how to use it for whatever future projects come along...

Thanks to you both for the help and information.

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Apr 8, 2010 at 8:43:16 pm

Can't hurt to use it, but for something like this you'll be totally fine with a really basic workflow.

Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

Jesse Glucksman
on Apr 10, 2010 at 12:45:20 am

That's true. It's a cool program and I can see how it'd be useful on productions bigger than the low-budget short I'm helping out--I'm using it anyway just to be familiar if I do more data wrangling in the future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]