FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redcine X latest build slower? Also, Red Rocket in a 4X pci/e slot?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Sneede
Redcine X latest build slower? Also, Red Rocket in a 4X pci/e slot?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 12:20:46 am

Two issues here:

1. Has anyone else noticed build 183 of Redcine X being quite a bit slower than 104 and 158 or is it just on my system?

Using the Red Rocket, I got speeds of 35 seconds to transcode to ProRes(HQ) from a 28 second 4K 23.98 clip with builds 104 and 158. But I got a time of 58 seconds with build 183.

2. The RR card is supposed to go in a X16 slot, but I got the same speed out of it in a X4 slot. This would be useful if I could keep it in a X4 slot since the two X16 slots are being used by the LH/e and the graphics card. Other than speed issues, I wonder if there is another reason it needs to be in a X16 slot (a warning comes up if it is not).

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
Re: Redcine X latest build slower? Also, Red Rocket in a 4X pci/e slot?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:17:06 pm

A RedRocket will function in a slower slot, you'll just lose bandwidth. The amount of bandwidth you require depends on what you are transcoding to and what kind of storage you're using.

If you are transcoding to DPX, you will need more bandwidth than if you are transcoding to ProRes, which requires more time to calculate. Also, if you aren't using a good RAID array, the RedRocket will slow down as it waits for frames to be written back to your storage. So, depending on your settings and storage, a 4X PCI-E slot might be fast enough.

If you want to do a comparison, transcode a large R3D to 2K DPX, then do the same to ProRes. We generally get 36 frames a second from our RedRocket cards when going to DPX. So, at 8mb per DPX frame, that requires a consistent 288MB/s from the RAID array. When we change to ProRes HQ 1920x1080, the frame rate drops to about 20 FPS, and the data rate to the RAID goes down to around 30-40 MB/s.

JM

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
Re: Redcine X latest build slower? Also, Red Rocket in a 4X pci/e slot?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:51:03 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll also do a transcode to 4K ProRes and DPX test.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]