FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED Scarlet FCP Workflow - did not know it was even out yet!!

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
RED Scarlet FCP Workflow - did not know it was even out yet!!
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:24:46 pm

I had a client call me about this workflow to make sure we could do it in house as we always have with the RED ONE workflow. I was not even aware that the Scarlet had been released...beyond that I am curious if / how the workflows differ from the RED One.

any feedback would be awesome.
thanks much in advance
cheers
sean

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED Scarlet FCP Workflow - did not know it was even out yet!!
on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:05:19 pm

Scarlet has not been publicly released as a camera. Only the RED One and the newer M-X sensor at 5K.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Mar 29, 2010 at 9:27:11 pm

Do you or anyone else reading this have any idea what / if any changes to the workflow there may be?!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 29, 2010 at 10:15:11 pm

Are you asking can I see into the future? :) How would anyone be able to answer your question definitively if the camera doesn't exist publicly yet? All evidence points to the camera shooting pretty much the same formats as the RED One so I don't expect any radical shifts. But again- how is it important if there's no cameras shooting yet?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:06:51 pm

A client told me pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago, but with 5K footage, of course it turned out not to be true.

I won't get into the details of it, but I was talking to Red about it and they said if/when anyone gets a prototype of any new hardware they will also be given all the software needed to work with it, and a direct contact number to the development department.

So it comes down to this, if your client doesn't know how to use the footage, then they don't have the hardware needed to create that footage.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:06:34 pm

what I find funny about posts like this, is that people seem to base their production, and their entire careers, on the availability of a particular camera (if the Scarlet isn't released - we can't make our movie !). Not only is there the Canon EOS 5D and other DSLR cameras, there is FILM ! (and inexpensive excellent HD cameras like the Varicam, which makes GREAT 24p images, and you can rent one cheap these days).

"How will I make my award winning feature without the Scarlet !".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:20:09 pm

I am just on the post-end and wanted to make sure I had the necessary tools / tech knowledge to deal with the footage if it were indeed to come from the Scarlett or any other camera that is new and unfamiliar to us...beyond that I have nothing to do with, nor can i personally control the calls that come into our facility from various producers and production people...the way they shoot there projects is for the most part out of my hands.

thanks

sean

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:23:48 pm

or how about, someone who owns and uses a Red1, gets a MysteriumX upgrade, and now thinks it's turned their Red1 into an Epic.......and makes me jump through hoops trying to figure out if the Tattoo program has actually started, if they actually have an Epic, and how to use the R3D files from it.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:36:08 pm

[Stuart Smith] "makes me jump through hoops trying to figure out if the Tattoo program has actually started"

if you are in it, you know if it exists.

"if they actually have an Epic,"

Doubt it. Bet they have an updated RedOne.

"how to use the R3D files from it."

Same as before- RedCineX or RedRocket.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:49:09 pm

I think you may have missed my first post responding to the original poster:

A client told me pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago, but with 5K footage, of course it turned out not to be true.

I won't get into the details of it, but I was talking to Red about it and they said if/when anyone gets a prototype of any new hardware they will also be given all the software needed to work with it, and a direct contact number to the development department.

So it comes down to this, if your client doesn't know how to use the footage, then they don't have the hardware needed to create that footage.

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:45:26 pm

If you listen to Red Centre more often, you won't need to ask questions like this. If you're actually working with RED and you're serious about it, then I don't see why you wouldn't be listening to their podcast.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:16:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses I appreciate your time and expertise.

Return to posts index

Neil Abeynayake
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:59:46 pm

Hi Sean,

I am not sure you received answers to all your questions. However, as I understand there are a few Scarlet camera prototypes being tested in various motion picture/TV studios and post production arenas.

(Quote);

Jannard has just confirmed that RED now has 3 working Scarlet/Epic prototypes. They are named “Blackie”, “Lucy” and “Desi”, an ode to Ren Mar studios that RED has just purchased.

The names are references to movies/shows shot at RED Studios Hollywood which was previously Ren-Mar Studios and before that Metro Pictures Back Lot #13. “Blackie” refers to the “Boston Blackie” films that were produced by Metro Pictures at the beginning of the 20th century and Lucy and Desi refer to “I Love Lucy” which was shot on the location while under the Ren-Mar name.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=562401#post562401

(End quote)

Also, Scott Webster from Rocket Rentals New Zealand has just posted a bunch of Mysterium-X R3D files for anyone to download and play with in Redcine-X. You can download the latest version of Redcine-X here (free): http://www.reduser.net/539913

The night scenes were shot at ISO 1600 and ISO 2000 and allow us to see what the lowlight R3Ds will be capable of.

The Mysterium-X R3D files can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/2ce06094e4b22845ab1eab3e9fa335cae72530da7c3ed989

Here are a few links that might assist you:

Scarlet Release Tracker

http://camerarentalz.com/scarlet-release-tracker/

EPIC (shot on the CANON 7D)

http://www.vimeo.com/9191131

Hope these would help you.

Neil

"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else".

Confucius

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:06:08 pm

http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?p=563791#post563791

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:58:53 pm

awesome thank you Neil you rock sir.

Return to posts index

Cass Vanini
on Apr 19, 2011 at 8:45:36 pm

Jesus,

This guy asks a question about a new workflow he's being asked to adjust to by a client and he gets treated like a jerk for it.

Way so nasty and self-righteous people?

I'm about to do a job with red epic. I'll post re: workflow differences once I'm in it. Perhaps someone will find it useful without having to be berated first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]