FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clipfinder seems slow - Optimal settings?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Uli Kunkel
Clipfinder seems slow - Optimal settings?
on Mar 28, 2010 at 9:10:22 pm

I am trying out Clipfinder for the first time and I've played with various settings to test out how long it takes to convert my red footage into the format that I want to edit with. I'm noticing on the batch process that it's taking a very long time to process footage that, if converted using the Log and Transfer method in Final Cut, would have taken far less time.

I'm working on a Dual 3gHz Dual-Core Mac Pro with 6GB of RAM.

Settings in Clipfinder are as follows:

Output Format: Quicktime
Debayer Resolution: HD+ (high)
Codec: ProRes HQ
Scale: 1920x1080 (I tested this without scaling and it didn't change the render time by much)
Tasks: 2
Cores/Tasks: 4

I have played around with the tasks and core/tasks settings and it hasn't made much difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Uli

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Clipfinder seems slow - Optimal settings?
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:41:31 am

Debayer quality is what makes the biggest difference.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Uli Kunkel
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:42:39 am

Yeah. I noticed that using a 1K debayer the renders were immensely faster.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 29, 2010 at 7:21:38 am

L&T in FCP is normally using a half debayer if you convert, if you stay native it's just re-wrapping.

Depending on your system, you can try and play with your settings. 2 cores per task might be better, if you want one core per task (with 8 taks, of course) you'll need more RAM. And don't forget the speed of your RAID. If you have more than one Mac around, try PMDR. I've found Clipfinder to be the fastest transcoder in software due to it's flexibility (they all rely on REDLine anyway).

Of course you can always choose an offline/online process to speed things up, inparticular with high shooting ratios. If you don't aim at film-out, half debayer is OK in many cases, only low-light footage will need full.

If you are working for film, get a RED Rocket!

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]