FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Rocket and Kona 3 (again)

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Red Rocket and Kona 3 (again)
on Mar 28, 2010 at 3:10:13 pm

Hi -
well, I am hearing on GOOD authority that the conflict with Red Rocket and Kona 3 in the same MAC Pro only exists with NVidia cards, and if you switch to an ATI graphics card, there is no conflict. I have no idea if this is true, or not true, but someone I trust in LA told me that his system is running flawlessly with the ATI card, and he could not get it to run with the NVidia card.

Any comments ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
Re: Red Rocket and Kona 3 (again)
on Mar 28, 2010 at 5:37:33 pm

ATIs and Kona 3s is all we use.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 28, 2010 at 10:45:38 pm

[Bob Zelin] "well, I am hearing on GOOD authority that the conflict with Red Rocket and Kona 3 in the same MAC Pro only exists with NVidia cards, and if you switch to an ATI graphics card, there is no conflict."

found this one out 2 weeks ago on my 3D shoot.

Apple had everyone get Nvidia cards to make Motion go fast and for the Open CL / Mercury architecture, now we need to rip them out to run video and compression cards in one machine....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
on Apr 2, 2010 at 5:11:56 pm

A Kona 3, RedRocket card, and a Radeon 4870 are solid. We have not attempted to use the GTX285 or FX4800 in our systems, but have used the Nvidia GT120 (single slot) as an option when space was needed for the RedRocket SDI breakout plate, with no problems.

So...still, I wonder if its a PCI-E bandwidth issue more than some sort of coding issue in the RR or Nvidia drivers. If we do have issues, more often than not, its because the client didn't do any camera testing before their shoot, and is stuck in some sort of non-standard frame size, that RocketCineX doesn't know what to do with.

JM

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
on May 4, 2010 at 11:41:16 pm

I, unfortunately, am having different luck. As soon as I installed the Rocket, I started having dropped frames and audio glitch issues in FCP, and this was with a ATI 4870 card. I have since tried it with a ATI 2600 and a Nvidia GTX285, all having the same result. I also wiped the system and clean installed Snow Leopard (from Leopard), and rebuilt my RAID with no positive results regarding this conflict. I have found two solutions, pull the rocket card out, or switch the audio (in FCP) from the Kona to output via built-in. Either route, the problem goes away. I feel it is an issue with the Rocket drivers, because I saw similar (but not as extreme) problems when I removed my Kona 3 and used a Matrox MXO2, and like I said, the brand of graphics card made no difference.

Is anyone else having similar problems? To the ones with the Rocket and Kona 3 working well together, is your audio going through the Kona?

Thanks,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]