FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac computer requirement for Red One use in AE

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Herron
Mac computer requirement for Red One use in AE
on Mar 23, 2010 at 5:27:06 pm

I'm going to be working with Red camera footage for the first time in After Effects. I am upgrading my Mac computer and getting the latest Adobe software as well. What is the minimum Mac system that I can use?

Will a duo core work? Or does it have to be a quad core? I was thinking about the iMac 27" quad core but I am hearing bad things about the screen.

Recommendations are welcome but I'm trying to keep the computer under $2500.

Thanks
Craig Herron

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Mac computer requirement for Red One use in AE
on Mar 23, 2010 at 6:44:02 pm

Fastest machine you can afford is pretty much wise. RED footage will suck up every ounce of processing power you can throw at it. I run an 8-core Mac Pro and I'm still waiting on renders from time to time.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Craig Herron
on Mar 23, 2010 at 7:02:09 pm

Noah

I have more time than money at this point. Would the duo core machines even work with this footage? I'm not looking for real time.

Is your book available at Borders or Barnes and Noble?

thanks for your help.

Craig Herron
http://www.herrondesigns.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 23, 2010 at 8:21:45 pm

[Craig Herron] "I have more time than money at this point."

This is what you think, now, but if you're going to be working with any real amount of Red footage, you may find out that time is money.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Craig Herron
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:17:55 pm

So which Mac computer is the minimum for working with red footaqe and which would be the best?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:29:00 pm

That's too broad a question because the answer depends on what you want to do. For example if you plan to Color correct properly with a good HD monitor you'll be limited to Mac Pros only. iMac, Laptops won't cut it. I'd suggest the most recent used Mac Pro you can afford. The iMac and a laptop are 'usable' but I wouldn't suggest it if you're buying a machine just for RED.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Craig Herron
on Mar 23, 2010 at 9:41:54 pm

I don't think I will be doing a lot of Red work. I mostly do Visual Effects in After Effects and I'm used to waiting for the renders. So I just really want to know if the imacs can work with the Red footage. I used to buy the minitowers the G3 thru G5 but they seem to be changing so quickly that I never even had a chance to add to my G5 minitower. Thought I would try a different tack. Especially in this economy.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 23, 2010 at 11:18:42 pm

Yes, they will work.

Noah

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:26:36 am

I've done AE work on my old black MacBook with RED. If you're used to sitting back and rendering then buying any new generation Macs shouldn't be a problem. They're plenty fast for it.

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

Craig Herron
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:08:27 pm

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Mar 24, 2010 at 3:21:59 pm

Over the years I have found that cutting corners is more expensive than not. Not only financially speaking but also when a deadline is approaching, a client wants to review it, something going wrong (whether is on your end or not) and your system is not dependable.

I would follow Noahs advice and bypass the macbook and iMac. Instead as he says, get the closer to the latest MacPro that you can afford.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 25, 2010 at 6:20:07 pm

Exactly- it's definitely nice to go to bed at a reasonable hour instead of pulling an all-nighter due to a slower computer. That's years of your life being saved in the long run. Surely that's worth a few more bucks up front- right?

Noah

Return to posts index

Job Hall
on Apr 8, 2010 at 7:44:33 pm

Shooting on a RED for the first time this weekend!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]