FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnecting R3D file ratio issue

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Rutherford
Reconnecting R3D file ratio issue
on Mar 9, 2010 at 11:38:31 am

Hi there

I have just off-lined a short film shot on RED using transcoded Pro Res files. I now want to reconnect to the 2K RED files and I am having a few problems. When I reconnect the files, the canvas in FCP does not adjust properly so the image is too big for the canvas. Also, when I look at the clip info, the frame size is 2048x1024 and there is no sequence setting preset for this so I have to render it anyway!

I have tried dragging the clip into a new sequence and letting FCP adjust the sequence settings automatically but the canvas still doesn't match the footage I am working with.
I am using FCP studio 3 and I am reconnecting to the _H files within the clip folder.

Thanks in advance

Don

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Reconnecting R3D file ratio issue
on Mar 9, 2010 at 4:31:05 pm

2K RED files- you mean they were shot in 2K? In general you can't really do this sort of thing directly in FCP. Better is to use Clipfinder to derive a proper EDL for Color and grade and output there.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Don Rutherford
on Mar 9, 2010 at 5:27:20 pm

Thanks Noah,

The footage was shot 4K but I had hoped to online it at 2K. From reading much of the information on this site, 2K is plenty big enough.

I have since gone through my project and re-imported every clip using the matchframe tool and then dropping the clip into the sequence using the overwrite option. This has solved the problem of the clips being the wrong size. ( I think it was problem I inherited by having the wrong settings on my pro res timeline)

However, the problem I now have is that I can't do this and also retain the effects I have added to the individual clips.

I will download clipfinder and try and sort out my project from there.

Thanks again for your help,

Don

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 9, 2010 at 7:37:41 pm

While 2K is plenty for many projects, it's good to grade and scale it directly from your 4K originals – this will give you the best quality. Color can do this, but FCP is limited to 2K.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:11:35 am

Yeah get Clipfinder and do it from the 4K originals- that's the right way to go.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Watch Formosa- My indie movie shot with the SDX900 and finished with Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Illya Laney
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:47:44 am

Did you shoot full 4K because you're planning on playing the film in theaters? These days we only shoot 4K HD so it divides down to 1920x1080 easily. For future reference, think about shooting 4K HD because it's much easier than dealing with 2K in FCP. Do you really need the extra pixels on the sides?

Motion Design, Color, Editing
Simulated Wood Grain Cabinet Inc.
Bunim-Murray Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]