FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a smaller version planed ?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
_Peter_
Is there a smaller version planed ?
on Nov 14, 2007 at 9:27:31 pm

Hello,

I am not so well informed, so maybe anyone here can change that :)

Wasn't there somewhere a note, that RED is also planing a smaller version ? Prosumer ? Or what ever one might call it ?

Something around 8000-10000 complete ?

Thanks for any info!

Peter

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Is there a smaller version planed ?
on Nov 15, 2007 at 7:24:05 pm

I haven't heard of any plans for a smaller camera. But seeing as the camera is called the REDONE, I'm guessing there will be a REDTWO, REDTHREE and so on.

Maybe it's like Hummer with the H1, H2, H3. But Hummer started with a H1 then went to the H3, then back to the H2 :)

-Russ

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 15, 2007 at 7:25:30 pm

Wait! It will be called either the REDMINI, REDNANO, or the REDSHUFFLE:)

-Russ

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 15, 2007 at 8:58:11 pm

WHAT ? Hummer made the H1 (American General made the H1) and GM licensed the ability to make the H2. When H2 sales plateaued, the H3 was released (at 20mpg, for $29,995). Where the HELL did you get your incorrect information from ?
I am not a car guy, but as an American male, I at least try to stay informed about certain items besides video. AS with many incorrect information on Creative Cow and technical forums, your info on the Hummer was wrong, and your info on the RED camera is wrong.

As for the RED Camera, you won't see a complete camera system from RED anytime soon, so as for a "prosumer" camera - for under $10,000 with the lens - you are in dream land. And even if it did happen, how would you edit and view these 4K files ?

So, never say never, but by the time a $8000 RED 4K camera comes out (as a complete system with lens), you will be at another stage at your life - where you can either afford a $60,000 camera package, or working for McDonnalds, where none of this will make a difference anyway.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 15, 2007 at 10:08:26 pm

Bob,

You need to to publish a book titled "What's Wrong".

On second thought "What's Wrong. Let me tell you what's wrong..."

The "What's Wrong" is NOT a question but rather a statement.

Every time I see a post from you I have to get myself ready to read it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 15, 2007 at 11:58:59 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Where the HELL did you get your incorrect information from ? "

Bob, you're right! I'm completely mistaken. I'm not sure what I was thinking. For some reason I remembered the history of Hummer wrong, mixing up the H2 and the H3.

As for the RED camera, OF COURSE I'M WRONG. Did you thing I was serious when I said that RED could come out with a REDMINI, REDNANO, etc?

[Bob Zelin] "AS with many incorrect information on Creative Cow and technical forums..."

In this case, I'd like to thank Bob for correcting me because I completely had my facts wrong. Correcting false information is an important part of this community. So Bob, if there's any other posts that you've seen where I've made a complete fool out of myself, feel free to let me know. (that goes for the rest of you too)

-Russ

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 16, 2007 at 9:01:37 am

Let's talk about something that I happen to know everything about: Harley Davidsons. And get this, the one that I crashed on the freeway last year was RED, so it fits right into this forum. Guess what... Although I paid full price, it's not complete, it runs occasionally, the handlebars are screwed up and there's no hope for it in the near future. And, it only runs four minutes at a time.

Back to you, Bob.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 16, 2007 at 3:52:13 pm

[Bob Zelin] " "Where the HELL did you get your incorrect information from ? " "

Actually Bob, a slight correction on your comment ( I did the still photography in the 70;s for the first HMMR-- before they became the ultimate station wagon for soccer mom's)

Bendix was the creator of the design and initial construction of the military vehicle at that time and sold the division to AM GEN in the late 70's ( they did not want a conflict with all of the auto makers that Bendix supplied) AMG was then absorbed by GM when they acquired the beleaguered car maker in the early 80's

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 18, 2007 at 1:05:10 am

[Russell Lasson] "It will be called either the REDMINI, REDNANO, or the REDSHUFFLE:)"

REDuced.

MacPro 2 x 3GHz dualcore; 10 GB 667MHz
Kona LHe
Sony HDV Z1
Sony HDV M25U
HD-Connect MI
Betacam UVW1800
DVCPro AJ-D650

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 15, 2007 at 9:59:05 pm

Here I thought it was Re-Done. Now I get it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on Nov 16, 2007 at 2:11:24 pm

Red announced at NAB 2007 that they were working on a smaller professional "pocket camera" as well as a line of 4k projectors and displays. That was about all they said, no specs, no price point, no time-table.

best regards,

jeremy

Return to posts index

blub06
on Nov 16, 2007 at 10:36:11 pm

Yah, but how much can I give them NOW for something, what ever it is, I get later, much later?

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 17, 2007 at 11:48:58 am

Just send it all in.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 17, 2007 at 2:37:37 pm

If you send your money to Steve Wargo directly, he will make sure that ONE DAY, you will receive the hot new "micro Red", which will cost $4999, shoot 4K files, include an entire series of prime lenses, tripod, panhead, LED Cool lights, 4 Terabytes of storage (in flash card format), and comes complete with a 5 picture deal from Sony Pictures (because we know that you are a great cinematogrpher).

So don't delay, send your $4999 RIGHT NOW to Steve Wargo.
Make sure to send a self addressed stamped envelope to "Buy Steve a New Harley and you will get your Micro Red" today !

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Uh Bob
on Nov 19, 2007 at 6:06:21 pm

The usual 10%?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck