FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Cuts

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Ferreyra
FCP Cuts
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:01:15 pm

Apple lays off 40 people from the FCP development staff right before NAB 2010.
Is it doomed? I've heard rumors for the last twelve months....

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: FCP Cuts
on Feb 19, 2010 at 6:41:35 pm

Is it doomed ? What does that mean - that you would have to learn another editing program ? Even if this was all true, Apple would sell off the division (to Adobe for example), and it would continue. Why is it important if Apple continues to own FCP and the Pro Apps division ? Why is this such an emotional subject. When CMX collapsed, established linear editors were very emotional (that piece of junk AVID). And when FCP emerged, all the AVID editors said "that piece of crap FCP". As we have Assimilate Scratch, Clipster, Pablo (and Media Composer and FCP) and dare I say it - "Premier" - how will your life change if you have to learn another user interface ? Have to miss out on that bowling night on Wednesday nights ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Feb 19, 2010 at 8:57:07 pm

I do have an emotional attachment to FCP and Apple. If it wasn't for it I would not have been able to start and grow a very successful business. 10 years ago when I decided be my own boss and start a company from nothing, with no money and no connections (I was a 25 y/o Senior Avid editor) all I wanted was an Avid but I had no money for an it nor for a Media 100.

Against my will I went with FCP v1 with a G4 but as it turned out, I worked wonderfully as a business model. FCP may be doomed, maybe not. Operating systems, edit systems, color grading systems come and go, people at home will shift to whatever is the most available and affordable; post houses like us will shift to whatever the business makes more sense.

Today, we are lucky to be able to switch to wherever the market shifts to. As anything in life with changes, the strong will rise and the weak will sink. I will always be grateful for the position that my company is in thanks to Final Cut Pro v1 and that G4 we still keep around as a reminder of our beginnings.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
West Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:26:40 pm

I had an emotional attachment to many things too - but I quickly learned that if I only wanted to work on ISC/GVG/Calaway linear edit systems, and not learn the EMC Non Linear Editing system, I would be unemployed. And then I had to learn AVID. And then I had to learn FCP. Recently I had to learn shared storage enviornments, and now I have to get good at RED worlflow (and Canon, etc. ) and believe me, I STINK at RED workflow. Some will just give up and sink. I am not a strong swimmer, like some on this forum, but I'm still swimming.
You learn what you have to learn, to stay alive.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Feb 20, 2010 at 1:41:38 am

Anyone with the will to stay afloat will swim and survive. Where I come from there was no future. Where I come from, I am not supposed to have what I have or achieve what I have achieved. Only one thing is certain... giving up has NEVER been an option for me.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
West Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Feb 22, 2010 at 6:33:09 am

Maybe they just got more effective and layed some people off?

This does not mean a thing at the moment.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Feb 23, 2010 at 2:52:17 pm

EMC
loved the way it would win the race, if the EMC started at the same time as a linear cut. EMC always finished first, how bout that 30 fps audio.

whatever tool gets the job done. It's better than good it's done!

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Feb 26, 2010 at 11:34:33 pm

If anyone is in peril of being "doomed" it's Avid. I have heard a number of whispers from reliable sources recently and there is change a 'comin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]