FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED files under NDA?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Sadwelkar
RED files under NDA?
on Nov 9, 2007 at 4:40:45 am

Someone has just got a Red camera into Mumbai India. Over from LA or somewhere.

And they are shooting tests in Mumbai with a DOP friend. Now the DOP wants to see what's being shot. But the 'camera people' say it can only be seen in a 'DI environment'

I've offered our post house where we have 2 Lustres, 1 iQ, 2 Resolves. And a MacPro to open and do the file conversion.

But the camera people say they are under NDA and can't give out the raw files. Only converted DPX files.

Is this correct? Why can't I - on behalf of the DOP who shot them - keep the original raw r3d files and get the Red Alert app to convert them any way I wish.

Anyone know?

Neil

FCP Editor, Mumbai, India.
Completely PAL.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: RED files under NDA?
on Nov 9, 2007 at 5:16:53 am

[Neil Sadwelkar] "But the camera people say they are under NDA and can't give out the raw files. Only converted DPX files. "

Without the Red Alert software -( which is still in beta) the native red code files are fairly useless.

that is the reason that only DPX files can be distributed.

and yes they are telling you the truth.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 9, 2007 at 4:17:10 pm

The .R3D files are not "under NDA." If a particular company wants to support the format they need to work with Red just like any other proprietary format. Scratch is the first DI suite to provide native support for .R3D.

You can look at the .R3D files directly in Red Alert and export .TIF or .DPX sequences. Or in the QuickTime player with the Redcode plugin which is provided to all Red owners.

Sounds like the "camera people" didn't RTFM. And if they are not handing over the footage they're shooting to the producers, they should be replaced. Plenty of Red owner/operators out there who know how to use the camera and provide proper files for output.

If you email me the contact info of the folks who are doing the shooting, I'll forward to Red directly so they can set them straight about 'NDAs.' No one who has a camera in the field is under NDA anything...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, Apple Color and now the HVX200!
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Nov 10, 2007 at 4:23:55 am

I would be surprised to know that Red is using NDAs for anything. After all those months of weekly 3D renders of what the daily design of the camera was... In the middle of the much ballyhooed (there! I said it! Ballyhoo!!!) initial release (oft referred to here as "beta test)... It would just seem so... out of character.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]