FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to get 4k 2.1 aspect ratio footage to look 2.35:1 in FCP???

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicole Elmer
how to get 4k 2.1 aspect ratio footage to look 2.35:1 in FCP???
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:53:30 pm

This is my first feature we shot in 4k on the Red at 2.1 aspect ratio. The DP knew that we wanted the "panavision 2.40" widescreen aspect ratio, but we had to do it cheaply as we did not have anamorphic lenses to do it properly. So, 2.1 it was...with merely taping the monitor to give a sense of what the final framing was going to look like.

So, now...nearing a fine cut...I can't for the life of me figure out how to get this 2.35:1 aspect ratio to work. I have pulled down the FCP filters: Matte: widescreen: 2.35:1 and this gives some black bars over the image, but when it comes time to compressing the footage the image is stretched slightly vertically and there is none of the gorgeous Panavision aspect ratio I was going for.

I am using Compressor which sees the footage as 16:9, but it is not giving the full landscape effect I want.

We tried a new sequence setting, NTSC 3:2, checked anamorphic, and ended up having to scale down the size and change the aspect ratio in the Motion tab. This seems a bit ghetto to be doing to every cut on the timeline, and while this fixes the vertical stretching, it does not fully bring back the 2.40 "landscape" thing I want.)

We've also tried doing cropping in Compressor with a set up under "Geometry" in the "Inspector" tab of Compressor that reads "Panavision 2.40:1" but that does nothing and only stretches things more vertically.

Any suggestions? This has been extremely frustrating for us and we would appreciate help or guidance...

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
Re: how to get 4k 2.1 aspect ratio footage to look 2.35:1 in FCP???
on Feb 18, 2010 at 3:59:56 pm

[Nicole Elmer] "but we had to do it cheaply as we did not have anamorphic lenses"..."with merely taping the monitor" "We tried a new sequence setting, NTSC 3:2, checked anamorphic, and ended up having to scale down the size and change the aspect ratio in the Motion tab. This seems a bit ghetto to be doing to every cut on the timeline"

I am sorry but this seems a bit ghetto from the beginning and all the way through. Maybe is time to bring a post professional to fix your production shortcomings. I will never understand why first time filmamkers are fixed on doing it all themselves. You know the saying: 'Jack of all trades..........'

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Nicole Elmer
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:38:57 pm

Budget constraints often dictate the resources us first-timers have available to us. If we had to wait for all resources to magically open up to based on money, most of us would never make a film.

But I certainly did not do this project completely by myself, nor would I pretend to be so arrogant to attempt such a feat.

Return to posts index

Ross Tokach
on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:52:05 am

I would blow it up in after effects to 5k resolution and then render it out as animation, use cineform and make it 2.35:1, then I would reimport it into after effects and layer a couple of them, one layer with a blending on bottom and and 98% opacity on top. Bump the color up on the 100% and then export as uncompressed. Import it into a 2k timeline with the anamorphic settings. If you are going to finish on film, you can import as 4 k, either way you are conforming the image to the timeline and u made the image 4.5k if anything you would get dimness and thats the reason for the layers of brighness.

This process should prepare the square pixels to be stretched without a noticeable degradation or fat looking faces.

"Oop, I think my render is done!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]