FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 questions: Green Screen and HDMI out

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Sneede
2 questions: Green Screen and HDMI out
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:03:22 pm

Hi - we're going to shoot green screen for the first time on the RED (build 21). We are shooting this at 2K, probably 29.97. Is there anything we should keep in mind here? Should we have the shutter speed at 60? And what is this 59.94 for frame rate? Would that make a smoother key? I know it doesn't play on the CRT or flat screen (only 29.97 and 23.94 do).

Also - the HDMI output on the camera doesn't seem to be working. Is there a setting for this or something? We are going to a client monitor HDMI in. Got nothing.

Thanks!

js

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 2 questions: Green Screen and HDMI out
on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:40:11 pm

Hmmm couple of suggestions:

1- Shoot 4K 23.98 not 2K 29.97. That would be the ideal format for keying. 24p can easily be made into 2K 29.97 in post but you'll have far more to work with and a simpler post workflow starting in the proper 4K 23.98 mode that is the camera's native speciality. All you do in 2K is window off half the sensor and consequently half your usable lens area. Not a good call in a tight green screen stage.

2-Check the HDMI output settings on your menus, and the cable. The monitor needs to accept a 720p signal.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:49:32 pm

The HDMI out of the REDone is NOT a video signal but a Display signal at 1280 x 800(I believe) - so you will need a display capable of handling Graphics resolutions not just Video resolutions.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Feb 18, 2010 at 4:03:31 pm

And I'd like to add that true compositing / finishing monitors can display any frame rate signal with the appropriate video card.

People! You have to get the professional gear if you want the results you envision for your project. There is no other way!

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Colin Hubick
on Feb 22, 2010 at 8:22:29 pm

I couldn't agree with Noah more on 2k vs 4k for GS. We do tons of vfx work with the Red, and if you have the option, don't cripple yourself by shooting 2k.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]