FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data Wrangling RED footage on Mac to be edited on PC

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Nakamura
Data Wrangling RED footage on Mac to be edited on PC
on Feb 16, 2010 at 4:40:12 pm

I will be the data wrangler on a two camera RED shoot and I need some advice. The two laptops I will be using on set to back-up the media from the RED Drive are MacBook Pros, but the actual edit is taking place on an Avid Nitris DS running on PC. My concern is in regards to the formatting of the hard drives I'll be backing up to. If I use NTFS formatted drives, is NTFS-3G reliable enough to back-up RED files on set? Or should I use Mac formatted drives on set, and then use NTFS-3G after the fact to transfer the media from the mac drives to the NTFS drives (meaning I have safety mac formatted drives with the media)? Or is there another solution I need to consider? I have data wrangled RED footage many times, but never had to when the footage was going to PC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Data Wrangling RED footage on Mac to be edited on PC
on Feb 16, 2010 at 5:35:04 pm

I wouldn't use NTFS-3G, I'd use the Paragon plugin for NTFS instead:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

It's pretty much bullet-proof and you'll never even notice it's there except for when the Avid PC folks are happy.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]