FORUMS: list search recent posts

No slot in computer for Red Rocket

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Sneede
No slot in computer for Red Rocket
on Feb 8, 2010 at 7:58:27 pm

Is there a way to get more expansion slots in the mac pro? All four are being used (AJa, SATA for drive array, G-force, Fiber Channel Card). Where do I put the Red Rocket (or esata card, for that matter)?

Thanks!

-js

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: No slot in computer for Red Rocket
on Feb 8, 2010 at 8:43:42 pm

You should look into an expansion chassis. Magma sells them, as do Cal Digit and Dulce, I'm sure there are others.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:01:50 am

[Jerry Sneede] "Where do I put the Red Rocket (or esata card, for that matter)?"

I am not currently able to run any Kona card and the red rocket in the same machine.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 9, 2010 at 10:43:19 pm

Gary, as always is correct. You are ASSUMING that there will be no conflicts between the Red Rocket, and your other products. This is quite the assumption. "But I have to use all these other cards for the rest of my work" - well, RED doesn't care. You should start thinking about another MAC Pro (hysteria as I write this !) for your RocketCineX application with your storage.

I have personally used the Dulce ProEX expansion chassis with fantastic success, but I have NEVER used it with the Kona and Red Rocket in the same chassis (or same computer) because of conflicts.
And besides, the Dulce ProEX is $3000, and you probably won't want to spend this much on an expansion chassis - even if it DID work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:11:36 pm

My solution would be to get a second Mac Pro. Sounds like you've outgrown just one. You can go the expansion card thingy route but I'd be surprised if as Bob points out you won't wind up with some major conflicts. Consider it a rite of passage...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!
Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Store- Gifts and Gadgets for Editors.

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:48:17 am

Apple refurbished MacPros work just like new and they save A LOT of money. Unless... you need the latest and greatest for which you will pay PREMIUM.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:27:04 am

Bear in mind that even though an expansion chassis will give you extra slots, you are still drawing on the same, limited PCIe lane count from the motherboard. It may or may not solve your problem.

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:54:56 pm

I was thinking I could take out the card for the CalDigit HDOne (since I'll be using the other storage we have over fibre channel. So that would free up a slot. But what's this about the Kona and Red Rocket not working together? What happens if you try to use them on the same machine (but, not at the same time, lets say)?

-js

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:06:53 pm

[Jerry Sneede] "But what's this about the Kona and Red Rocket not working together? What happens if you try to use them on the same machine (but, not at the same time, lets say)?"

The machine will not boot when both Kona and Rocket cards w/drivers are installed.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/24640

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:36:53 pm

There ya go- hard to argue with that... Time for Mac Editing Bay #2.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D.
Visit my Editors Store- Gifts and Gadgets for Editors.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:19:00 pm

Hi Jerry -
it's very simple. You have an edit system. You want to transcode your .R3D files using RocketCine-X, get them onto your drive array, quit RocketCine-X, and start editing in FCP, using the Kona 3, right ? What should be so unusual about this simple request.

As Noah just said, time to buy another MAC. Welcome to the club.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 12, 2010 at 6:00:03 am

Bob,

I'm still not quite sure what you're saying. So, is it possible to transcode using the Red Rocket, then edit in FCP with the LH/e, or are you saying it is not possible?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 12, 2010 at 11:08:26 pm

Not unless you want to open the machine and pull the card out every time you fire up the RED Rocket....

Noah

Visit my Editors Blog- Tips and Gear for Editors.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 13, 2010 at 2:28:28 am

Jerry is struggling with my reply "I think he may have said that I DONT have to spend the money for another machine".

I said in an article for Creative Cow, that no one needs a machine room if they want to share one VTR between multiple edit systems. They can just PICK IT UP and carry it from room to room, and hook up the cables each time. Same applies in this example.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on Feb 14, 2010 at 1:34:07 am

Jerry, you can't insert the RR card into the same computer as all your other stuff, it's just not possible. You're going to need to buy another Mac Pro to run your Rocket.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]