FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Sneede
RED workflow
on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:28:52 pm

We just got a RED camera here for a project. I'm editing on FCP, plus we have a DaVinci Resolve.

As I understand it, the workflow is to edit using the proxy file that points to the RED raw file, then conform later. However, editing using the proxy in an HD timeline (using this so the image will appear on the HD monitor correctly for the client) either has to be rendered or it does not play smoothly (which will not be good for the client). I'm thinking I could put everything through the Resolve first, but I don't want things to get confusing with file names when it comes to the conform on the Resolve. Can anyone who's using this setup help?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bruna Abubakir
Re: RED workflow
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:03:01 pm

Jerry,

I Find that using the proxy's is a pain, and it will ALWAYS need render and won't EVER play smoothly, due to the lag to conect to the raw file.

The workflow that works best for me is the "transcoding to ProRes" workflow, that will give you the smoothest playback and wil only need render when filters or transitions are applied.

RedUser.net has a nifty white paper ( .pdf file) that explains all these workflows.) here is the link for downloading the white paper: http://www.red.com/support

You'll have to download either the RED FINAL CUT STUDIO 3 INSTALLER or the RED FINAL CUT STUDIO 2 INSTALLER (depending on what studio you have) . Each comes with it's own whitepaper.

hope this helps.

Just a very big puzzle mister man.

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Feb 3, 2010 at 5:21:35 pm

we output HDSDI from an Assimilate Scratch w a burn in containing filename and source TC. burnin is in the letterbox portion of the fit width which typically around here people shoot 2:1 so there is a narrow letterbox in 16x9
This eliminates any issues with edl hink or other "errors" during a conform.
we ask for a ref movie w the burnin visible to conform to

they can crop the bottom for showing the offline to a client/approval etc eliminating the burn in

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Jerry Sneede
on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:28:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved