FORUMS: list search recent posts

Update your firmware

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Wargo
Update your firmware
on Nov 6, 2007 at 4:48:38 am

I find it interesting that the owners of RED cameras have to do their own firmware updates and work on their cameras. How does this fit in with the union rules?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5699

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: Update your firmware
on Nov 6, 2007 at 8:19:02 pm

I find it interesting that the 1st post in that discussion refers to this incident not being "great for our cause."

It's not a cause. It's a tool. If it's a tool that works, fantastic. If it's a tool that works sometimes, that's not so good.

This is a potential problem for any early adopter of anything, though, not just Red. Where I differ is in how some folk were so quick to blame it on the DP because he didn't post on the forum for help as soon as he had a problem. Because every feature film set really needs someone on a laptop connected to the internet at all times! Oy!

You could argue that CineAltas, Genesis (Genisii? Genii? Genies?), Varicams, P2, XDCams don't crash. You'd be correct, but that isn't really the point.

Red is one of a few "data-centric" cameras. There are other data-centric types of devices on film sets today as well. S2 & Deva recorders, laptops & readers for flash cards for P2 & XDCam EX, etc. Yes, it's up to crew chiefs to push for the stuff that they know works, and keep it working. But it's also up to the manufacturers to make stuff that works. And to get it working when it turns buggy.

I expect that Red will eventually iron this stuff out, but the evangelism on reduser.net turns me off. Much like what you see on some of the Blender forums, and some other places as well.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Jim Exton
on Nov 7, 2007 at 3:32:10 pm

I think it is nice to have a camera that can be improved over time and all you have to do is download a new firmware.

I am not sure what the union rules are on it, I imagine probably the same if you had to replace a CP-16 motor belt or any other kind of in the field maintenance.

Return to posts index

Jim Exton
on Nov 7, 2007 at 3:36:37 pm

I read reduser.net every day. I agree with you on the evangelism. The same thing happened when the HVX-200 came out as well.

I know I will not be sending my camera out on rentals with a new, untested firmware build. Especially one that Red made very clear that it shouldn't be used on commercial productions.

It is also a good idea for rental houses to send out a CF card with previous builds on it in case the production needs to revert back to an older build.

These are just temporary problems though, in a couple of months the firmware should have enabled almost all functions and be stable as well.

Return to posts index

Kyle_S
on Nov 7, 2007 at 4:57:24 pm

I just love the way they all attack the dp because of the cameras issues.

Beta testing new gear on a paying gig, not a great idea.

K

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 8, 2007 at 5:06:27 am

A year ago, someone had posted on the HD High End forum that they were shooting a feature, on RED, in June '06, and had everything in place, based on an announced delivery date. It's kind of scary that the newcomers don't understand the shakedown period where everything is hammered out in the field, but this is usually done by a factory crew that knows how long that period of time actually is and waits until that process is over before releasing units.

As for the DP in the original post, he might be a hired gun that was handed the unit, ready to shoot. But, if he chose to put his job and his reputation on the line with a tool that is not quite finished, that's another story.

I have to ding RED for distributing a product that isn't quite ready for prime time. Too many indidents and their reputation could take a serious hit. Although they may have announced that it shouldn't be used for commercial purposes, how long is someone supposed to wait after going into hock for a whole bunch of money. If it was mine, it would be "pick it up on Friday and make money on Saturday". It's human nature and much more so with the potential of this thing. I imagine a lot of these guys can't even sleep, thinking about it.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
Sony EX-1 on the way.

Return to posts index

Kyle_S
on Nov 8, 2007 at 11:00:19 pm

I don't know why anyone would start a project where there is money on the line with a camera that "sort of works". I see some of the red crowd refer to that just being the way it is when your o the bleeding edge. I call it insanity. I am not showing up with something I am not familiar with, not something if I am not truly 110% positive that EVERYTHING works.

People have come down on Grass Valley for the delays with the Infinity. I would rather see the camera delayed until everything works than to be made a beta tester like Red's done.

I think some have realized a little late in the game that these IT units in a box cameras are not as easy to make as they thought they were gonna be.

K

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 9, 2007 at 2:23:43 am

I am copying this from the reduser.net site -

"People are very quick on this site to call other people morons." -

REPLY - hey, I am not even on the Reduser.net site. Someone is copying me ! I should sue !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]