FORUMS: list search recent posts

Who has used SI2k, who knows SI2K transcode applications

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Torti
Who has used SI2k, who knows SI2K transcode applications
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:23:11 pm

I know this is the RED thread, but I can't find a more appropriate one to post a question about the SI2K camera's workflow in post. Both RED and SI2K are HD cameras...

We rented a SI2K and did some test shooting today. The footage we shot is 2048 x 1152 in CineForm HD/2k/4k format, quicktime wrapper. I successfully downloaded the codec so I can view the footage, my next step is the transcode.

My work loves editing Apple Pro Res 1920x1080 footage because of its playback quality and relative ease of use. My problem isn't making the dimensions, but preserving the timecode when transcoding the footage.

I use Red Rushes for my RED work which is great for the 1920 and timecode output. Is there a similar application, free or small fee, for the SI2k camera (CineForm HD format) that I can batch export at a pre-set frame size, with timecode?

We shoot Wednesday and I will start the process Wednesday night, so I need to figure this out quickly! Advise on a better thread to post this, or someone to contact would be helpful also!

Thanks CreativeCows, you're always a big help.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Who has used SI2k, who knows SI2K transcode applications
on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:54:41 am

Is it really necessary- you'll never go back to the SI2K clips will you? So the timecode of the ProRes clips will be your new master source.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Matt Torti
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:15:56 am

I will have to go back to the SI2k, the ProRes is just for the offline.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:02:50 am

[Matt Torti] "My work loves editing Apple Pro Res 1920x1080 footage because of its playback quality and relative ease of use. My problem isn't making the dimensions, but preserving the timecode when transcoding the footage. "

Then pay for the full working of the codec and edit with it, you will not get the performance of ProRes but you will be surprised how well it works on a fast machine with storage to match.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://blogs.creativecow.net/garyadcock

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Matt Torti
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:20:51 am

When you say pay for the whole codec, do you mean what we use in FCP? We have Blackmagic with HD settings, but they only go up to 1920. The problem that arises is when footage is over 1920 (2k for example) it doesn't have real time playback, drops frames consistantly, won't show on the monitor, ect.

Is that a blackmagic issue that we're just skirting? Is it possible we aren't fully equipped?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 26, 2010 at 2:06:58 am

I believe what Gary is referring to is you need to purchase the full codec from Cineform if you want to go back to the SI2K files. But are you really sure you need to go back to the camera original files? Without say a Scratch color grading system they're useless to you.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jan 26, 2010 at 8:15:32 am

It's been a while since I've worked with CineForm RAW files on FCP...but the RAW data is fully accessible in PPro on a PC, no transcode is necessary and you edit the RAW on the timeline and adjust the demosaic settings and change them all you want during that process. You don't actually "flatten" until after the cut in that scenario.

Iridas will also handle CineForm RAW files quite nicely.

However, the Black Magic cards are an issue for CineForm as far as I know. There's some aspect of the basic way the BM cards work that make it difficult for them and CineForm to get together...CineForm is really built to be used with AJA IO cards.

(and CineForm will handle the 2K and simply "center cut" for HD monitoring 1:1 pixel...)

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:24:33 pm

The fix is easy if all you need to do is maintain the original SI camera timecode in the new ProRes files. As long as you don't change the frame rate when transcoding to ProRes, you should be able to use the 'Modify Timecode' feature in FCP on each new ProRes clip.

- Load a clip on the viewer
- Place the playhead on the first frame of the loaded clip
- From FCP menu bar select Modify - Timecode
- Select the correct frame rate and type in the exact timecode as in the SI camera file
- Spot check both clip files randomly to make sure that timecode is accurate matches on ProRes and SI
- Apply same process to all other clips

Hope this helps :)

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]