FORUMS: list search recent posts

conforming from RED proxies to ProRes in FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Pearl
conforming from RED proxies to ProRes in FCP
on Jan 25, 2010 at 6:44:04 pm

Hey there,

the RED shoot over the Sunday went great and I was able to deliver 2 fairly finished rough cuts for the spots by the end of the day by cutting the M proxy files.

I really would have preferred trancoding ProRes files in FCP first but there was no time. I want to do that today and reconform the spots.

Is there a way to reconform a sequence from RED proxies to logged and transferred ProRes (HQ) files?

I tried a few things that failed spectacularly.

Thanks,
Rachel

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: conforming from RED proxies to ProRes in FCP
on Jan 25, 2010 at 9:54:08 pm

Sure:

http://www.daun.ch/software/

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:02:35 pm

Thanks, I've been trying to get it to work with clipfinder with no success.

The exported XML wouldn't work in Final Cut after I reconformed it.

Any tips?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:55:28 am

Write to the author- he is a cool gent and will help you figure out the problem if it's fixable. Just be nice and throw him a few bucks on Paypal. It's a free app that RED ought to be financially supporting if they aren't already.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:09:45 am

will do. I'll contact him.

As far as I can see you can reconform to ProxyF files but not to externally trancoded files.

I also tried to Media Manage my proxy sequence and batch capture the new offline sequence but at least my version of FCP only wants to open "log and capture" and not "log and transfer". This last workflow has only worked for me when using ProRes (HQ) files that I log and transfered within FCP. I may be doing something wrong of course.

thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:38:38 am

It will catch a lot of files in an edit, provided the clip names haven't been messed with.

Noah

Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 26, 2010 at 7:41:43 am

If FCP tries to resort to L&C, there is at least one clip or still in your timeline not coming from R3D, this has happened to me.

Clipfinder is definitely capable of replacing proxies with ProRes or whatever transcode:

- Read the XML from FCP
- Generate the desired format (Render)
- Conform your project by pointing to those files
- Read the new XML into FCP

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:29:24 pm

Hi Rachel, remember that FCP log and transfer throws away a lot of the RED quality, detail and latitude. Unless quality is not important, I would recommend using the High-Quality debayer setting in RedRushes, RedAlert, RedCine or RedRocket.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:57:57 pm

Thanks!

So if I understand correctly, I can transcode low res "dailies" in RedAlert and cut with those and then reconnect them to higher res versions later on?

I was looking at using Clipfinder to switch from the M Proxies to the H Proxies when I'm done editing (I've done this succesfully) and then finishing with the H Proxies. Can bring them in and out of Color and finish this way?

How does the quality of the proxies compare to ProRes clips I've transcoded in RedAlert or RedRushes (as opposed to FCP)? How do they behave when I take them into Color?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 28, 2010 at 1:59:40 pm

Yes, Clipfinder is great for this workflow.

Color is automatically using your R3D source if it's fed with proxies, so you'll get full quality.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]