FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renaming Clips FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Alberts
Renaming Clips FCP
on Jan 23, 2010 at 6:30:45 pm

cutting a feature on RED and have a workaround question about renaming clips. having used both FCP & AVID i understand the inherent problems with renaming clips in FCP when working offline and doing a reconform. basically, don't do it. but us feature editors really use and refer to clip names displayed in the timeline for cutting faster and knowing what we're looking at...being tied to the RED filename in the timeline is a major pain in the arse.

the fact that FCP could solve this problem by allowing you to display a different column for clips in in the timeline is also a bit frustrating. hello feature request.

but..

does anybody copy the RED file name to another column and change the 'Name' column to their liking? then finishing the offline edit you could restore the RED file name to the 'Name' column. can anybody tell me why this is a really bad idea? or share your workaround or experience with this.

thanks

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Renaming Clips FCP
on Jan 24, 2010 at 12:22:45 am

I'd recommend you just live with it unless you want potential trouble when it comes time to conform. I would suggest you use one of the other many fields within FCP such as Master Comment 1 or 2 to name as you wish. Then drag that column over until it is closest to the clip icon in list view. But don't rename the clip itself because you'll spend years cut pasting everything back when you're done with no way to know if you've been accurate other than by painstakingly re-checking every edit you've done... fuuuuun.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:59:46 am

As long as you are only using FCP (i. e. the whitepaper workflow = slow) you can rename clips inside FCP or during L & T, it works even for an offline/online workflow. FCP keeps an internal reference. But never rename the files!

If you are going to use any external procedure involving EDLs, don't.

Clipfinder seems to handle a re-conform of such renamed clips, but being too cautious I never tested that extensively.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Jonathan Alberts
on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:56:52 pm

it's kinda what i expected. it's a minor bummer since there could so easily be a fix for this in FCP (though media management has never been its strong suit).

the master comment column is the closest workaround but certainly doesn't solve the timeline problem.

i'll check out the whitepaper on that subject because i did read somewhere about the internal UUID that FCP generates. still, i'm a bit loathe to go with this option incase our finishing workflow changes.

thanks for your input guys.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 24, 2010 at 4:35:56 pm

Import everything with the RED CLIP names.

Create a custome field for the description name.

Create a custom bin view that shows the Custom field and hides the clip field.

Edit.

Then you'll never have any issue reconnecting to the orignal media.

Simple.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Jonathan Alberts
on Jan 24, 2010 at 4:42:53 pm

yes, but david...i know i can see the clipnames in column view. that is quite simple.

but you're still tied to seeing those 'clipnames' in the timeline. that's the problem. when i edit i don't want to see these gargantuan file names on my clips. there's no way to see anything other than the 'name' column on timeline clips

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 24, 2010 at 8:15:17 pm

As far as I undertand it (and I have not tried this - so please, do your own tests) Clipfinder can retrieve the original clip name from renamed clips - even if they have been renamed on the disk. I understand the unique clip name/number is stored as metadata within the file. There are numerous examples on the RED forums of Georg (who developed clipfinder) saving 'broken' projects this way.

That said - I think I could live with the alternative. It's so easy to name clips and batches of clips in the bins, so why create a problem?

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:49:21 pm

Yeah but once you move out onto any other system for finishing you'll get EDL problems. I mean who cares what you see on the timeline- you have your thumbnails and play timeline to figure out what each is. Just the way it goes...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D,
Apple Tablet Blog.

Return to posts index

Colin Hubick
on Jan 25, 2010 at 5:15:53 pm

We've used sub-clips in FCP to deal with the file name issue. This retains the original name of the clips, but allows you to rename the subclips to what ever you want. When you do the conform, everything works fine.

Colin

Return to posts index

dave divehall
on Apr 19, 2010 at 4:05:55 am

Hi guys, i too have a similar problem.

I work at a movie studio. The owner, wants all file names from all our media to follow the same file name structure. This means, from now on, we will be changing all the source media file names from our redcam footage, before editing starts. We also will be changing all the old redcam files, then relinking the media in the projects.

Now, i have already tested the new file name structure - importing into FCP (Log & Transfer) & REDalert.. all without a problem.

Does anyone know of any specific problems we might encounter down the line. As i am very reluctant to do this, but unless i can tell the owner exactly what problems are going to occur, and why - then i won't be able to convince him to change his mind.

I have asked elsewhere, and have got a lot of people telling me not to do it, and that's it's unwise. But no one can tell me why exactly?

So if anyone knows of any specific reasons why it is unwise to change the file names please let me know.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]