FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:3 BetaSP delivery of material shot on RED at 16:9

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Pearl
4:3 BetaSP delivery of material shot on RED at 16:9
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:24:26 pm

HI,

I'm working on a spot this weekend shot in 16:9 on the RED. The client wants the final output to be on BetaSP 29.97 4:3 with a letter box.

The sound will be mixed from 2 tracks to mono and added to both tracks on the Beta tape.

I will most likely be keeping the project in the ProRes (HQ) format throughout.

Any good tips on how to do this or where I might find that information?

Thanks,
Rachel

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 4:3 BetaSP delivery of material shot on RED at 16:9
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:33:16 pm

An AJA or Blackmagic card with built-in downconversion/pulldown would do the trick fine from a ProRes edit. Kinda begs the question why shoot 4K in the first place but it happens a lot...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:39:21 pm

I should have added that the client want me to add the matte in FCP and use the matter for graphics. So, I will have to do this in Final Cut.

I also have to find a way to do it without a card.

I just tried using the custom 4:3 aspect ration sequence setting for final cut (with the footage I found on the web, thanks!) . It places the 16:9 image in a 4:3 frame and adds a letterbox. It has to be rendered, but could I cut in 16:9, convert the sequence to custom 4:3 and then cut in the graphics last before I export?

I know, I can't figure out why they want a 4K shoot on the Red for BetaSP but go figure. At least I can keep in ProRes for the project.

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:43:08 pm

apologize for all the typos.

Rachel

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:45:27 pm

Keep the workflow as 16x9 from begining to end.

When you are finished then drop it into a 4x3 sequence where the letterboxing will take care of itself.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:51:48 pm

thanks!

Just tried that and I'm getting weird results. What sequence setting would I use?

I won't be laying it to tape so all I nee dto know is what digital format the post house wants from me.

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 19, 2010 at 12:03:10 am

Got it! Thanks.

It was the weird footage I got from the web and not my project. Another Red clip seems to work fine. It's gonna take a fair bit of rendering at the graphics stage though.

If anyone has any other thoughts about doing this, I would love to hear it.

What format does a post house generally want in order to lay off to BetaSP? I'm not sure who we are working with yet but as soon as I do I will be calling them :).

Thanks for your patience.

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:29:28 am

I completed a commercial output for HR Block to Beta SP from a RED shoot with a 4:3 letterbox matte and using the bottom part of the matte for a 1-800 number. this is what you can do:

- Use QT conversion and export a self contained 720 x 486 / Apple ProRes HQ 4:2:2 / 29.97
- When exporting use the "maintain aspect ratio with letterbox' option checked
- This movie will be in the correct 4:3 with letterbox matte (saves 1/2 the potential headaches)
- Import the QT to FCP and drop it on an empty sequence.
- Let FCP adjust the sequence settings to match the QT.
- Add graphics to the bottom of the matte.
- Output to tape.

If you don't have a post facility to do the output to Beta SP, let me know. We have super affordable rates.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Nedunghattil Dhanil
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:50:15 pm

Hi,
You can work with ProRess(HQ),I think you can use redcine to convert your fooge.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:46:00 am

Yeah call up Stuart- he will save your tail and your sanity.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:58:34 am

Thanks Noah! About the RED to Beta SP non-sense idea...

Most TV networks and affiliates still require Beta SP as their final format for localized markets commercials. Why? Because they have dozens of players that would cost too much money to upgrade (and this is in Los Angeles - let's not talk about middle America).

I have pushed hard for digibeta masters at the very minimum but the bottom line is, I always lose and they get their Beta SP. I won't stop pushing though.... :)

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor
West Los Angeles, CA

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jan 19, 2010 at 2:14:37 am

10 bit uncompressed SD would be a good delivery QT to whoever is doing your tape output.

Everyone will have this codec installed as well.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 19, 2010 at 5:22:35 am

Yeah Betas and all tape will eventually die as more and more networks and post houses go tapeless. Though of course the sellers of Beta decks would prefer that doesn't happen ever.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]