FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED, transcode, scaling

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Alberts
RED, transcode, scaling
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:36:37 pm

Hi

Working on a feature and shooting with RED 4K and will edit material in FCP with ProRes. I'm thinking that I'd like to scale all the material to 1920x1080 when I'm transcoding because outputs to DVD etc will be easier than at 2K. I've also heard that the transcoding won't take *that* much more time but I'll save
a whole lot of time dealing with outputs if my material is already scaled.

Eventually, we'll be doing a film-out 35 from the RAW files so this is for offline only.

Can any speak to this, confirm or deny it's uselfullness. Also, what transcoding app they think might be best for this?

thanks

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED, transcode, scaling
on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:23:38 pm

For transcoding, I'd suggest Clipfinder.

Do you really want to go to DVD or to Blu-Ray? DVD is strictly SD, not 1920 by 1080.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Jonathan Alberts
on Jan 15, 2010 at 11:28:31 pm

well, i know i'd have to downconvert if going to plain DVD...so those outputs i suppose wouldn't be helped by the 1920x1080 but if i were to go out to blu-ray will the scaling 1920x1080 aspect save me time?

i've read a bunch about clipfinder... but had few 'real-people' testimonials. do you find it quicker? better looking? better GUI?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 17, 2010 at 9:15:44 pm

Much faster than L & T and good GUI.

Yes, having your fooatge ready in 1920 by 10180 will definiely help if Blu-ray is your destination.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Jan 19, 2010 at 1:39:14 am

If you have a video card like Kona or Blackmagic you could playback any R3D or 1080 file through the card to a real-time dvd recorder. No need for compressor or any encoder a hell of a time saver.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Colin Hubick
on Jan 21, 2010 at 6:34:29 pm

This isn't necessarily true. 1920x1080 ProRes will play fine through the Kona, but lay back of .r3d fles via the proxy is very taxing on the system, and probably won't give you the realtime you are looking for. In addition FCP and Color lack the new color science Red has developed, there for you are not getting all the latest benifits. Clipfinder does support the new color science.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]