FORUMS: list search recent posts

conforming ProRes 422 back to 4K?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Pearl
conforming ProRes 422 back to 4K?
on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:40:41 pm

Hi know I'm risking a flaming with this question, but I live dangerously. If it's been asked a million times already, I apologize in advance.

I'm going to be cutting Red footage in about month and I was wondering if one could use Log and Transfer to transcode the footage to ProRes 422, cut the project in FCP, and then use this timeline to conform back to the 4K raw files.

I would like to be able to use effects and transitions for the rough cut so I don't want to use the proxys, but we will be finishing on 4K.

If this is possible, any recommended software?

also, any good REd One workshops in LA? Red gives one but it's only 4 times a year.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: conforming ProRes 422 back to 4K?
on Jan 13, 2010 at 1:26:37 am

Sure- google for Clipfinder and maybe grab my book. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:57:25 am

I second this (both Clipfinder and the book), but why do you need 4K?

Plus, you'll need to go into another program to finish in 4K anyway, FCP doesn't handle it.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 13, 2010 at 5:34:31 pm

The production wants to finish to film and will be using a Post House for finishing. Hence, the 4K.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 14, 2010 at 9:51:32 pm

Wow, they must have tons of dough, then!

Even Hollywood is finishing most films in 2K…

Plus, your RED One is delivering a tad more than 3K of measurable resolution, don't confuse the number of pixels with factual information in the frame.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:26:43 am

Yeah nobody is really recording to film in 4K. Whether you deliver 2K files or they downsize them at the post house it will go out 2K to film.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 15, 2010 at 12:44:53 am

thanks,

That's good to know. They were very concerned that there be an option for 4K. I'm glad to hear that 2K will work to film. I would rather stay in ProRes.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 15, 2010 at 4:45:25 pm

Well there's nothing wrong with correcting from the r3d files- this is doable in Color and gives you more to work with than baked in ProRes. But it's all about your level of interest and the system capabilities in making this happen.

Noah

Return to posts index

Rachel Pearl
on Jan 15, 2010 at 9:01:44 pm

this is all great info. thanks. I'm still finding out what the plan is for finishing so I'm trying to cover all bases. I really do want to nail that down though before they start shooting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]