RED in FCP 6.01

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ady Le Roux
RED in FCP 6.01
on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:09:01 pm

Hi Guys n Gals,

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have shot a video on a RED camera and now I have put it into FCP....

File > Import folder > then I selected the whole folder that I transferred off the RED drive.

Q1: Is this the correct way to get the footage into FCP?

Then, I decide to make a sequence 1920 x 1080 using the REDCODE compressor

I then start editing using the actual Quicktime .movs in the clip folders rather than do any converting procedure

Q2: Is this ok???

BUT!!!!! The playback is a little jerky and more importantly when I add a little effect of colour balance - it wont rener or play back! - All I get is a Grey screen!

Please advise as this is the first time I am using RED footage and well..... it's not running smoothly as it should do! ;)

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED in FCP 6.01
on Jan 12, 2010 at 4:14:09 am

REDCODE should not be used as the compressor in your sequence. It should be APPLE PRO RES.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 12, 2010 at 8:52:01 am

And don't expect smooth playback from anythin but hard cuts on a very beefy machine. R3D is very demanding!

The alternative would be transcoding with a faster tool like Clipfinder (free) to ProRes in offline quality, edit in FCP and later conform it to full quality (Clipfinder again). You'll get much snappier editing that way.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Ady Le Roux
on Jan 12, 2010 at 10:45:22 am

hi thanks for your time....

I have 2 Apple Pro Res options -
1: Apple Prores 422
2. Apple Prores 422 (HQ)

Which one do I use please?.... I am dragging ONTO the timeline the clips that are 2048 x 1152 (and then when the computer says 'the clip does not match the sequence do I want to change the sequence to match the clip) - I say YES!

MY MAIN PROBLEM at the moment:

When ever I add a colour correction or an effect I am unable to render the clip!...

Any reason why please?

Thanks again and hopefully hear soon?

a

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 12, 2010 at 9:29:17 pm

Did you read the Whitepaper for RED and FCS ( it's at red.com support ) ?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]